Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 06-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Default The best system for pro tools

Hey there,
Im using PT M-powered 7.1 with delta 1010lt on my pc at the moment and im looking at purchasing a mac but im not clued up on what to get and need help.Ive been looking on ebay for second hand macs and found some reasonable priced items on there, but what do I get? the best cheapest I can find are mac G4`s.What specs should I look out for? The pc I have is a pentium D with 1gb ram so im looking for something more reliable, plus windows sucks!!.....Help !!!!

Mark
Old 06-29-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: The best system for pro tools

I'm pretty satisfied with my upgraded Digital Audio G4. I've done a lot of work to it though, and spent a bit of dough. It's very stable, and very quiet. I run PTLE with a Digi 001.

I donated my old Gigabit Ethernet G4 to a former Windows-using friend who installed a dual 1.7 CPU upgrade, 1GB RAM, and a couple fresh ATA drives. It's not as quiet/cool running as my DA, but it runs M-Powered 7 with a 1010 just fine. He's a very happy switcher. The Gigabit worked fine for me for almost a year, but when I found a good deal on the DA I switched for the faster graphics, additional PCI slot, and better CPU placement.

Just realize that G4/PPC is a dead-end platform. There is no major demand for chips so upgrades will likely soon die out as the upgrade manufacturers give up on the shrinking market.

Macs to stay away from? Early Quicksilver, and Mirrored Drive Door models. The early QS is essentially the same as a DA, but seem to have more logic board failures. The early MDD is noisey, and hot-running.

Early G4 Yikes! with PCI graphics aren't too great either, but not many around.

Good site for general specs & info: http://www.everymac.com/

Good site for upgrade/performance info: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Mr. Brane,
What upgrade are you using on the Mac DA? I've got the powerlogix that runs great but is REALLY loud.

JT
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM

Both the upgrades I refer to above are Gigadesigns with the 7447 chips. I puchased them from Mac Gurus, but they no longer carry them due to lack of demand.

The stock Giga fan setup is adequate, but noisey. I modified mine to get better airflow, and less noise. You can check it out here. The first part of the thread is the Gigabit, and the latter part the DA.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Just realize that G4/PPC is a dead-end platform. There is no major demand for chips so upgrades will likely soon die out as the upgrade manufacturers give up on the shrinking market.

Macs to stay away from? Early Quicksilver, and Mirrored Drive Door models. The early QS is essentially the same as a DA, but seem to have more logic board failures. The early MDD is noisey, and hot-running.

Later revision MDD towers were still (slightly) noisey, but were much improved over
their earlier brethren...

Since the G4 PPC is a dead platform, I would try to buy the fastest G4 tower you can.
I would consider your setup, if your tower is not in the same room as you record, you
might be better served by getting a Mirror Drive Door (MDD) G4 dual CPU machine.

I had one years back and it served my purpose as i isolated it from the area where i was recording.

the fastest stock G4 MDD tower is a dual G4 CPU 1.42, it has 167 Mhz bus and can only boot
into mac os X. There is a later revision of the mdd tower which is dual G4 1.25 with 167 Mhz bus
and can boot into mac os 9 or mac os X. Either of these systems would serve you the best
(in my opinion) if you intend to run with G4s due to your PCI requirement for the Delta interface.