Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-18-2002, 09:36 AM

Default mastering & burning CD questions

Using Toast, I can burn a CD with tunes arranged in the order I want and specify the time space between them.

However, if I wanted to bring my stereo bounces into PT, master individual tracks, slide them around to determine the order, fine tune the time space between each track, and compile all this to a CD, what do I need to set where there tracks start/stop? Do I need Master List, or Jam to do this?

Of course, I can master each track individually and bring burn a CD with Toast, but I'd like to be able to compare the tunes all in one file, so I can hear how they compare to each other for level, compression and EQ.

I've also noticed that CDR CDs don't playback on some players (cheap CD players and some DVD players), presumably because Toast doesn't burn "Redbook" format. Will Master List or Jam do this?

thanks in advance,
Dave Patterson
Knobville
Old 01-18-2002, 02:59 PM

Default Re: mastering & burning CD questions

"..if I wanted to bring my stereo bounces into PT, master individual tracks, slide them around to determine the order, fine tune the time space between each track, and compile all this to a CD, what do I need to set where there tracks start/stop?"

Well, you said what you need to do...bring the stereo tracks into PTLE and master as you see fit. You can then export each song individually as regions, putting whatever space between them you want. Use the menu option of "export regions as files" in the file bin.

You'll still have to place the songs into some kind of program such as Toast, Jam or MLCD, to actually burn it to CDR. I have both Toast and Jam, and Jam gives you additional options such as adjusting the individual level of each track. It also has a nice feature called "preview disc" which plays the first 7 seconds and the last 7 seconds of each tune so you compare how the songs flow. It also has detailed PQ code editing if you want to get that detailed.

It doesn't have any additional EQ, compression, or anything but level adjusting.

Another possibility (I may try this myself) is to use a program like Emagic's Waveburner Pro. It allows you to do all "mastering" as well as burning (CDRs and convert to MP3s) from within the program. It comes with several quality VST plugins and if you have any Waves plugins, they should work, too (because you get all native versions, including VST & RTAS when you buy Waves). I also has a sample rate converter and the POW-R dither (for 24 to 16-bit conversion). It's really a top-notch program. You can always get it for under $250. I've seen it as cheap as $205 (www.macmidimusic.com).

There is a demo available on Emagic's site.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:31 PM

Let me rephrase what I want to do:

I want to be able to have all the tunes loaded into PT so I can compare the levels, EQ, etc. while they are available all at one time. This way, I can quickly evaluate all the songs at one time, and adjust the exact time space between tunes, right in PT. The problem is getting them onto a CD with start/stop times. Sure, I can do them one at a time like I already do, but I won't be able to compare them "side by side" and make EQ and level adjustments.

It just seems that being able to access ALL the songs within one file would be the only way to accuratly compare them and evaluate the transitions from one song to the next. I've seen it done this way at other studios, and want to know how to do it.

Dave Patterson
Knobville
Old 01-18-2002, 09:28 PM

I have Toast and I have an Alesis Masterlink, which I find is the piece I gear I use more than anything else. Just a great piece of gear and I nice addition to the 001 setup. And, you can burn CD's that will play on anything. Jon Pousette-Dart
Old 01-18-2002, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Dave Patterson
Knobville
Old 01-19-2002, 12:34 AM

It's true that a lot of cheap CD players won't playback CD-R's, and most DVD players are actually made to not play CD-R's. It's nothing to do with redbook, it's the actual medea.

www.disposableproductions.com