Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2021, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Midi keyboard controller

Just studio controller or are you thinking of live gigs also?

I mean... if it is just studio work, take a look at Nektar Impact LX88 but if you go on stage, then there is no comparison: Clavia Nord Stage 3 (88key)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

I mean... if it is just studio work, take a look at Nektar Impact LX88 but if you go on stage, then there is no comparison: Clavia Nord Stage 3 (88key)

thanks for the input, Janne. I'm not familiar with the Clavia Nord Stage 3. I know of the Nord Stage 3. Are they one and the same? My church has the stage 3. But, as afar as I can tell, about all I ever hear it used for is piano sounds and the occasional pad. WIth its external section ability, and the ability to set up to 4 zones, layering both internal and external sounds, there is so much more that could be done.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
thanks for the input, Janne. I'm not familiar with the Clavia Nord Stage 3. I know of the Nord Stage 3. Are they one and the same? My church has the stage 3. But, as afar as I can tell, about all I ever hear it used for is piano sounds and the occasional pad. WIth its external section ability, and the ability to set up to 4 zones, layering both internal and external sounds, there is so much more that could be done.
Yes, usually people just say Nord Stage because everyone knows The Red Keyboard.

My point here is not the sounds but the keyboard and controls. Sounds are nice too, and easier to use live without laptop... but likely you have better sounds on your laptop, and you would use those anyway.

88-key Nord Stage has excellent weighed keys with hammer action piano keys, so if you are a pianist (which I assume you are because asking for weighed keyboard) this is the one you want.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, usually people just say Nord Stage because everyone knows The Red Keyboard.

My point here is not the sounds but the keyboard and controls. Sounds are nice too, and easier to use live without laptop... but likely you have better sounds on your laptop, and you would use those anyway.

88-key Nord Stage has excellent weighed keys with hammer action piano keys, so if you are a pianist (which I assume you are because asking for weighed keyboard) this is the one you want.

Thanks, Janne. Appreciate the tips.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:

It's strange to me that Nektar does not even mention Pro Tools as a compatible DAW with the Impact LX88?

https://nektartech.com/impact-lx88-controller-keyboard/

Also ProTools 2021.12, 002R,; Mac Pro: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon; 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC; Serial ATA Drives (Journaled HFS+): 2 x OWC Mercury Electra 3G 2 TB SSD; 3 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB; External Firewire Drives (Journaled HFS+): 4 x Seagate Barracudas 1.5 TB and 6 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB
Old 10-28-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdjudd View Post
It's strange to me that Nektar does not even mention Pro Tools as a compatible DAW with the Impact LX88?

https://nektartech.com/impact-lx88-controller-keyboard/
It is a standard MIDI controller just like any other board. You just need to map bells and whistles manually. Same way I need to map my Novation Launchkey. It just has a pretty good keyboard feel for pianists.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:30 AM

Well I got as a gift a Novation LaunchKey Mini keyboard. I am running Pro Tools First. I saw on the Novation website the following.
"Please note that the above steps do not apply to Pro Tools First - whilst you can use the Launchkey MK3 to transmit MIDI data into the DAW, it cannot be used as a MIDI HUI control surface in Pro Tools First."
Tell me I dont have to purchase the $299.00 1-Year Subscription.
Thats its just a configuration problem. LOL

Thanx

RS
Old 10-29-2021, 04:32 AM

HUI and Eucon are not supported on PT|First, sorry
Old 10-29-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
HUI and Eucon are not supported on PT|First, sorry
I will work it out

Last edited by Rrsparger; 10-29-2021 at 07:08 AM.