Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Default Beat Detective vs Elastic Audio

Am i correct, these essentially due the same sort of thing? Except EA can do so with multiple type instruments and multiple tracks?
I guess no matter how many tutorials i watch on Beat Detective, i've still never fully appreciated/understood what its for?
Main things i'm looking to use such applications for would be for helping correct drum tracks (our drummer isn't always "in time") either full tracks or fills.
Thoughts?

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Beat Detective vs Elastic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDub View Post
Am i correct, these essentially due the same sort of thing? Except EA can do so with multiple type instruments and multiple tracks?
I guess no matter how many tutorials i watch on Beat Detective, i've still never fully appreciated/understood what its for?
Main things i'm looking to use such applications for would be for helping correct drum tracks (our drummer isn't always "in time") either full tracks or fills.
Thoughts?
EA applies times stretching. BD will slice and dice with fades. Both work flows have their pros & cons and still have quite a ways to go. I'm surprised the algorithms haven't advanced any further. I myself do all my edits manually. The quality cant be matched by EA or BD. A developer really needs to sit next to a handful of the diehards who edit for a living. The best algorithm and work flow, which has yet to be developed in any DAW, will use a combination of both plus automate the best of the manual editing world.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm about the same as Shane.. I'll use EA, but prefer manual editing... I've used BD a few times, and it's cool for some things, but like any "automatic" thing, it can be a bit dodgy at times..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 AM

After giving both a run, it's back to manual here two.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM

I never got any love from BD so EA is my tool. Since it can really screw up your audio(seemingly when it wants with no apparent reason) I always duplicate the audio first. For an entire track, I just duplicate the playlist. For sections, I add another audio track and copy the region I need to fix. Once I have done my edits on this region and commit it, I give it one last listen for artifacts before I paste it back to the original track. Its extra work, but I can undo or start over if EA screws up the audio(around 50% of the time), and it is capable of amazing stuff(as long as you protect yourself from the dark side of it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM

Same as albee here. I will result to manual editing if EA gives too many artifacts. But for smaller regions, EA works like a charm.