Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Default Computer Monitoring Software

Hey guys.

Any facilities using Computer Monitoring Software?
(Immediate need is for Windows, future need will be for Mac)

Looking for some recommendations.

Have looked at a bunch, but so far from what I've seen, maybe WebWatcher???

I need to be able to log computer useage in the studio.

So far, WebWatcher is the only one that will do everything I need, but I can't seem to get those clowns on the phone.

The trial does what I want it to, except that the logs HAVE TO be transmitted online.

An issue, because I want the machine offline.
Not too big an issue, cause I can just go in, hook it up online real quick so the log transfers, take it back offline, and review the log from anywhere.

Just looking to see if there is anyone using anything better.

I'd rather have the logs kept on the machine being monitored, and view them there.

??????????????

Want to log:

What was ran, when, for how long, active and inactive
What files were accessed (With their directory)
What files were created (with their directory)
yadda yadda yadda

Appreciate any info.... or recommendations.

I can't believe Digi still doesn't have something like this........

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Computer Monitoring Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Emcee View Post

Digi makes a decent DAW...but I'm sure a computer log/web watcher app is not their specialty.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Well, Digidesign IS in the business of Professional Audio Production.In professional audio production, there are engineers, owners, etc.Sometimes owners would like the peace of mind in knowing exactly what Pro Tools has been up to.I'm not stupid.Been around the block a few times.It would be very very smart for Avid to offer something like this across the board.I only mention WebWatcher, cause it's the only log'ger I've seen that will keep track of software ran, when, how long active and inactive.All very important in a facility with 3 engineers having access and reporting hours, etc...Sometimes hours are not reported accurately.....I shouldn't need to be explaining this

OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)

Live:
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 PM

We use Sassafras. It reports back to a designated server that you set up on your internal network.

OSX can log applications by user but probably nit to the extent that you wish.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Emcee View Post
Something as simple as a log of session time would be a great feature. Each session file should have a log of when the session is opened, when there is no playback or other activity for more than x amount of time, when the operator gets on the duc, that sort of thing. It would be interesting to see how much time goes into some of the longer projects I've worked on. Also a good way to see what kind of work is the most profitable

I've never had anyone question my time on a project, but it would be a nice feature to have just in case a client ever disputes the amount of time I bill for. Not that documenting it myself doesn't work, but it's one of those things that a computer can do just as easily, so why not use it?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 AM

I'm really glad that my employer simply trusts me to get on with my work and looks at the results (quality, quantity and delivery times) instead of monitoring how many minutes I spend in the studio.

I don't like this corporate paranoia as it can be very unfair. I work really quickly compared with some of my colleagues but that is merely seen as a positive thing with me instead of it being a negative thing on them.

Does Windows not allow you to see when files were created and modified as an indicator?

Website
IMDB

Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Palmer View Post
I'm really glad that my employer simply trusts me to get on with my work and looks at the results (quality, quantity and delivery times) instead of monitoring how many minutes I spend in the studio.
Yeah, I think the trust issue (or lack thereof) can have a greater negative impact than the value added by monitoring your engineers, if that's what you are trying to accomplish. But if you're more interested in doing it for your own billing process and it's not about big brother watching over someone's shoulder, the above concerns are less valid for your situation.

A bigger issue is that there has never been a monitoring software app made that can't be circumvented. For most commercial products, it's fairly trivial if you are even slightly tech-oriented. If the people in question aren't smart enough to do that, do you really want them running your rig?

That said, the hardest ones to tinker with or get around are the ones actually built into the app. So you are right that the best thing would be for digi to add some logging to their product. That would also ensure that the logging happens at the least impacting time for the app. We all know Pro Tools doesn't need something interrupting its work. Build it into the app, and Digi has control over when the logging functions occur in the workflow.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netnoggin View Post
That said, the hardest ones to tinker with or get around are the ones actually built into the app. So you are right that the best thing would be for digi to add some logging to their product. That would also ensure that the logging happens at the least impacting time for the app. We all know Pro Tools doesn't need something interrupting its work. Build it into the app, and Digi has control over when the logging functions occur in the workflow.
This is not a bad idea and might be a boom for billing in the larger facilities. Most of us dont need it or want it so being able to turn it off in the Prefs or having it installed as a extra cost option would be the way to go. I would much rather see PT development money spent on PT fixes and features.

Having said this I understand why theres a need for "big brother" programs that restrict or track illegal downloading, file acess, IP theft, content filtering, restrict websites etc.

Another thought is that a closed circuit TV security monitoring system makes sense for a facility full of expensive gear. Nothing unethical about this as long as every one knows its there.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
This is not a bad idea and might be a boom for billing in the larger facilities. Most of us dont need it or want it so being able to turn it off in the Prefs or having it installed as a extra cost option would be the way to go. I would much rather see PT development money spent on PT fixes and features.

Having said this I understand why theres a need for "big brother" programs that restrict or track illegal downloading, file acess, IP theft, content filtering, restrict websites etc.

Another thought is that a closed circuit TV security monitoring system makes sense for a facility full of expensive gear. Nothing unethical about this as long as every one knows its there.
Agreed, this thread has me thinking. Perhaos that's not a good thing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM

I settled on what to use, and it is very cool.

There are a few reasons for wanting to do this.

1) DETAILED log of production activities,
a) For tracking actual production times
b) Billing of clients
c) Record Keeping

2) To be sure that there are no unauthorized activities taking place
(Certain things cannot be done on the computer to ensure this)

3) Security reasons

4) Others

The software is completely undetectable, and does not conflict in any way with other tasks (ie, Pro Tools)

I am very Techy and know how to get into pretty much anything on the computer.....
There is really no way this could be dissabled unless you knew where to go to do it,
and that is very well buried and disguised.

On PC, MSCONFIG won't even dissable it.... :)
Task manager does not display it

It is very benefitial to have a steady log kept.....
All I do is periodically (Weekly, or whenever) check/print/save the logs and can keep track of billing/billable/etc very easily.

Anyway.

I still think Digi should implement this somehow.
There are so many good reasons for it.

OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)

Live: