Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-01-2021, 03:18 PM

Default MMC issue - redundant playback setup - Radial SW8-USB

Hey everyone!

The artist I work for has given me a project during the down time and I'm stuck and cannot figure out my next step.

I was given 2x current MacBook Pros running Big Sur 11.4 with two Licenses of Pro Tools V2021.7.0 and a Radial SW8-USB (see the link below)

https://www.radialeng.com/product/sw8-usb

Essentially what this system is intended to be is a redundant playback setup. I have gotten set up to where when the Radial Sync lock is engaged both computers will start similtaneously when I press spacebar on the "A" computer. However the issue I have is that when I press spacebar again to stop the "A" computer the "b" computer keeps on rolling.

I have Jam sync engaged on the "B" computer and can't seem to understand how to figure this out.

Can anyone advise me on how to solve this? I feel like I'm missing a simple thing but can't seem to put my finger on it?

Thanks!

Last edited by lightthesky22; 10-01-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:50 PM

Default Re: MMC issue - redundant playback setup - Radial SW8-USB

Why would you want B to stop? That's the whole point. B continues if A stops for any reason. Any sync mode other than Jam sync would cause B to quit when A quits.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-02-2021, 07:04 PM

Great question!

So my thought would be that once the band finishes "Song X" I would press spacebar, stop playback and then select "Song Y" if you will and then start that song with both computers acting in unison.

If after "Song X" was finished my "B" computer kept rolling it would eventually start playing the next set of audio it ran into. This wouldn't be an issue however lets assume "Song Y" was not directly following "Song X" in my timeline. This would cause the "b" computer to start playing whatever audio it runs into next.

Therefore my hope would be to be able to press spacebar to both start and stop both computers.

Does this make sense or am I insane?
Old 10-02-2021, 08:50 PM

Pro Tools does not let you operate the local transport and send MMC to operate the remote transport at the same time. When you go online with MMC, it operates the remote machine and the local chases.

For what you’re doing, I’d put the arrangements you need to play back on the timeline with 10 minutes of space in between and put markers at the head of each. Then you can use the locations window to go to any arrangement in an instant and the chasing machine will jump to the sync point as soon as it receives MTC again. If you are getting close to another arrangement playing, just tap the spacebar on the chasing machine to stop it.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control