Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Anyone use EQ-III for mastering?

With any plug-in regardless of price or perceived quality, 'use your ears.'

If you like what you hear, it's good.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-28-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
With any plug-in regardless of price or perceived quality, 'use your ears.'

If you like what you hear, it's good.
As always. Price is not an indicator of quality, merely value. And don't forget that not all comparisons are created equal (an A/B for eqs can be very tricky; almost to the point of being irrelevant). That's important to know if the goal is to discover the best options for a complete mix, not to merely identify all of the good ones that exist. If you were auditioning to be Al Schmitt's co-engineer, or to mix Diana Krall's next album, would you lean exclusively on EQIII? I'd want more than just good eqs. In fact, for *every* job, I want the best I can afford. Staying relevant in the upper levels of this tough, cutthroat business requires it.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I demoed EQ1 at its intensely high price, and although I wasn't looking to buy anything that day, after hearing it I could not sleep well without it, knowing what I was missing.
No "overwrought" sentiments.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
No "overwrought" sentiments.
:) Well, yes, I have all sorts of enthusiastic sentiments about the Weiss! Coming from the days of the most primitive plugin eqs as a point of comparison, I have to pinch myself at what's available to us now.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I don't see any "overwrought" sentiments here -- that's an over-amplified term. There are opinions, and some of them have come with qualification after careful consideration.
Right, use your ears for the listening, and then use your literacy and eyes for the reading. In 5 blind reading tests, I easily detected overwrought statements with 100% reproducibility.

I COULD hear a difference between the two eq's, when it wasn't a blind test. So... I made myself do the blind test. Not so easy all of a sudden.

Maybe we could do a blind listening test here and see who can identify which is EQIII, and which is Softube, with identical parameters.

Anyway, I feel OK with it however it goes... I can't hear the differences between eq's that some claim, yet others fail to identify overwrought statements where they are clear as day to me.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
In 5 blind reading tests
I do love a good blind test, but that just seems unfair.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I can post a HW vs SW efter the weekend just for the sake of you guys hearing how the SW is inferior. The heft of the HW is clearly noticeble...
Too busy?
Lost interest?
Can't tell the difference, using identical settings?

Interesting Review comparing original Weiss hardware with the software version:
https://sonicscoop.com/2018/08/14/ne...essor-softube/
https://sonicscoop.com/2018/08/14/ne...sor-softube/2/

Weiss DS1-MK3 software:
“The parallel compression and Mid-Side compression modes are both very effective and easy to use, and are very welcome features.”

Summing it Up
The hardware Weiss DS1-MK3 costs about 16 times as much as the $549 Softube plugin equivalent. On paper though, the plugin seems to be exactly the same (only better), which makes me sort of wonder who will buy the hardware unit now that this software version is available. My guess is that Weiss figures they’ve already sold all the hardware units they’re going to sell, and now it’s time to move on to the much larger software market.”
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 AM

Geez you are like a leach bruh!! Of course I can tell the difference!

I have my thoughts and you keep clinging on to your hope.. I do work in music for making a living and we have lots of music to finish ne deliver unlike some others here ... and if anyone else really cares we can do some tests but really who cares anymore? We have our 10K weiss and those who dont and want has a plugin so a VS doesn’t do anyone any good. You posted a million times now that ppl say they can’t hear a difference between 10.000 dollar gear and a 149 dollar plugin ... Great.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-02-2021, 03:37 AM

Here’s a short demo of the plug-in:

https://youtu.be/_KIKS6s8gxk
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-02-2021, 03:50 AM

You guys just don't get it.. Chris is not into plugins, because he has hardware. And why not? Gets better job done easier.

I am nowadays using Sonnox EQ exclusively, mostly because it is clean and precise as digital should be, and with GML option is actually 5 different EQ in one plugin. If I need more "character" I route that track via one of the channels on my SPL Charisma8, as you know all tubes are individual so one track works better for kick, another for snare, etc.

Back to the point. If a company sells its flagship product (hardware) for 10k, do you seriously think the 500 dollar plugin would be identical? I believe it once you do null test between track processed with plugin and track processed with hardware connected digitally. If it nulls, I stand corrected. If it does not, they are different.