Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM

Unhappy Cannot reset drive to audio

Hi,

I've reviewed an extensive previous thread on this issue and tried several of the simple fixes without result. There did not appear to be a consensus solution so before I dive down this rabbit hole trying one thing after another I am asking here for your collective wisdom.

The drive that I use for recording is no longer recognized as an audio drive. I am not able to reset it.

Mac Dual Mirror 1.25 gig
1 MB L3 Cache per processor
1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
Two internal hard drives
OS 10.4.11
Protools 7.0
Digi 002

I've been working with this current configuration for years without trouble. Last week it became clear that the hard drive (with the OS, Protools, etc) was failing. It was working ok but was starting to click... and I had some lock up issues while recording. So, I had a new master hard drive installed and had the old drive copied. So, the new drive is a mirror of the old one. All other aspects of the machine checked out OK.

On launching protools I was asked to renstall Pace extensions and did so.

I tried launching a session and got the message that the drive was not an audio drive. I was not able to reset it to either playback or audio.

I have done the following...

Reviewed the general troubleshooting tips guide and checked for anything there.

1) I dumped preference files.
2) I ran disk utilities permissions repair (which did in fact find permissions to repair... which surprised me ...).

BUT... I cannot repair permissions on the slave drive... the drive that I need to reset to audio. Is this a hint ... or should I not be able to repair or verify permissions on an internal slave drive.

From reading the long thread I can see several ways to go...

1) Reformat the drive.... though several people who tried this report that it did not work.

2) Uninstall PT and then reinstall... though again, some report that this did not work

3) Reintall the OS... and PT.... though again.... you get the picture.

I recall that installing PT and getting everything stable and happy was not trivial when I first went through this six years ago. Since then I've updated the OS and upgraded PT several times with few glitches. The current configuration has been stable for about two years.

I'm inclined to first try reformatting the drive... easiest thing to do. Then.... reinstall the OS. Again, easy. Finally... uninstall and reinstall PT. I don't want to do that.

I might be answering my own question here. What to do first... but mostly I'm hoping that someone can give me a clear "here is what to do" rather than then blindly shooting in the dark until something works stuff that I found in the thread.

Many thanks! This forum has always been amazing. I am a very happy Protools LE guy... I've sold quite a few people in my little circle on this platform.

joHn...
Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Cannot reset drive to audio

Your mistake was cloning the old OS drive to your new one instead of doing a fresh OS install on the new drive. Too many system and other files don't make the transfer correctly when you go that route.

Your solution is to re-format your OS drive, re-install the OS from a CD/DVD and then re-install Pro Tools and the rest of your apps.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM

Smile Re: Cannot reset drive to audio

Slim Shady,

Your advice does not come as a surprise. I'll go that route if I must... but don't blame me if I try to side step the full rebuild. It was not much fun getting a stable system when I first put this thing together. And there have been several upgrades... web based upgrades, I think. In other words... I install from disks and then go out to the web. Ah, the tangled "web" that we weave.

A side note: Everyone that I spoke to here told me that the mirror of the OS drive would work... I asked specifically if there was a need to reinstall the OS... "They" said, "No." OK, these are not audio guys... but they are Apple techs... both at the Apple store and, far more important to me, at a local shop that does real world work with lots of older machines. Their techs have been doing Apple support here for ten years.

Thanks... You've helped me before and in my heart I know that you are right. When in doubt... reformat and reinstall.

joHn