Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Re: calling all mastering gurus

by the way : there is a nice video on delay compensation on the "air users blog"!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnyc View Post
to darney - "dark arts" indeed! thanks for the suggestions
I have attended a couple of mastering sessions (as a passive participant)
One was at Sterlng Sound here in NYC. It was cool to watch Greg Calbi work - but I wasn't in a position to ask questions (not my product)
Checking out the Lodge sounds like a good idea
thanks again
Well, you're on the right track, asking great questions. Of course, Sterling is one of the best and Greg Calbi is a legend with a discography that is massive.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnyc View Post
ok - here come the dumb questions....
parallel compression on the entire mix? stems? as a bus?
(I saw one post that advocated duplicating the track/file for parallel compression - but that doesn't seem right to me? due to latency issues)
Yup... parallel compression on the stereo mix. It's one of the most widely used features on the Weiss DS1.

http://www.weiss.ch/ds1/ds1.html

You don't "need" the DS1 in order to do this technique. But just with everything else, YMMV. In the end it's not the gear, it's your ears that make something sound good. Being able to hear WHEN you should use parallel compression on the stereo mix and when you shouldn't is more important than how you go about doing it.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpardon View Post

the same story for parallel compression : use time adjuster for compensating the latency .....
You can insert the same compressor, eq...(bypassed), on the uncompressed bus to compensate for latency.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpardon View Post
I you want to smash your music till -5 db rms and still want to sound good and open
This is pretty much impossible to achieve. Even if you are measuring with a meter that uses the AES 17 standard sine wave for calibration.

I would love to hear an example of music that has an rms of -5 dB and still sounds good and open.

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 AM

An excellent source on this topic is "Mastering In Pro Tools" with Phil Magnotti. Worth every penny for the video download. Probably the best video I've purchased on the topic of PT. I was glued to this video on first run though and reference it often. An great foundation on mastering...

Phil Magnotti
Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz mastering View Post
This is pretty much impossible to achieve. Even if you are measuring with a meter that uses the AES 17 standard sine wave for calibration.

I would love to hear an example of music that has an rms of -5 dB and still sounds good and open.
I guess I'm speaking "relatively". Again, we're talking hip hop, so some distortion is present. (and maybe my metering is suspect too) Bottom line, when I attempt to match levels (with commercial releases) by using limiting (among other things), my mix "disintegrates" - so obviously the trick isn't in slamming the limiter. So I guess that's why I started this thread in the first place
I've always felt that a big part of getting a hot master was probably about reeling in certain frequencies in the initial mix. I'm trying to learn how to recognize/hear the "problems". I appreciate all of the feedback.
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 03-28-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kling3 View Post
An excellent source on this topic is "Mastering In Pro Tools" with Phil Magnotti. Worth every penny for the video download. Probably the best video I've purchased on the topic of PT. I was glued to this video on first run though and reference it often. An great foundation on mastering...

Phil Magnotti
thanks - I'll check it out. I downloaded a similar video (it was "Logic's mastering toolkit") While it was informative, the info was pretty basic - nothing I didn't already know. Guess I'm looking for "secret tips from the pros"
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 03-28-2010, 09:41 AM

In order to get things loud and still hold together, I think the single most important issue is frequency and energy distribution followed by gain staging...being able to hear what is going on through a full range system... I would put limiting near the bottom. ymmv.

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz mastering View Post
In order to get things loud and still hold together, I think the single most important issue is frequency and energy distribution followed by gain staging...being able to hear what is going on through a full range system... I would put limiting near the bottom. ymmv.
+1