Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2008, 07:59 PM

Cool PT8 :: Initial Thoughts & Experiences

Will have my boxed copy delivered by Friday...
but curious what everyone's initial thoughts and experiences are so far...
Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 PM

Default Re: PT8 :: Initial Thoughts & Experiences

Been recording with PT 8 the last 3 hours. Editing etc. did not have time to mess around too much but it seems very stable and the feel IMO is a whole lot smoother than PT 7. The looks to me are worth every penny I paid for the upgrade.

Finally, the studio does not get lit like a x-mass tree when PT runs - it blends in really nice with the atmosphere.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 PM

I posted this on GS... Here ya go wit my thoughts....

Well, I was the lazy slum that was talked about earlier. :)
I downloaded mine and I have to say, WOW... Incredible job by Digi so far. Just been messing around with it here and there. I took the chance and uninstalled my Pro Tools HD 7.4.2 and installed 8 and with just a minor midi bump in the road so far, all else is good. I will pull a session tonight and mess with it to see about the editing and mixing part. These are the things I like so far. Short version......

1. The look, sooooo much better. Not as bright.
2. So many plugins in this version and, they are great sounding. No lie, great.
3. The Air Reverb is one of my new fav's. I can't lie. I have all the TC reverbs and I have the Eventide and the Revibe but, something about this reverb and the other two that are in there are just top notch. Great Job Digi.
4. Finally, 10 inserts. Love that.
5. So many plugins too mess with. Time just goes by soooo fast.
6. Never gave the midi the time of day but, I'm going to take it serious this time. Midi part looks good and pretty easy so far. Haven't put that much time or effort yet but I will. I also will create TRUE MPC timing for Pro Tools before I do. Can't live without that man.... Note to all my Logic Pro 8 users: I have not forgot about you. I will upload some timings so you can check it out.

Funny, the way they have the audio editing comping feature is how I use to do it anyway. I would create 1 main track and 7 underneath it. One I recorded a track, just move it down and mute it. Then pick the best like that. This will make that job easier I'm sure.

Installing it was super easy. Just follow the easy direction they give ya. All the plugins work and had no problems with that except Structure didn't come up at first but, once I restarted it came up.

I will continue to check in and let you guys know what's up. If you have any questions, just post them here.

Thanx

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
6. Never gave the midi the time of day but, I'm going to take it serious this time. Midi part looks good and pretty easy so far. Haven't put that much time or effort yet but I will. I also will create TRUE MPC timing for Pro Tools before I do. Can't live without that man.... Note to all my Logic Pro 8 users: I have not forgot about you. I will upload some timings so you can check it out.
Hey Marc,

I'd be ubber interested in those timing grooves if you're willing to share.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 PM

I would have to see when I'm close to being done as this process takes forever. The MPC3000 has about 150 of more (Can't Remember) Quantizing shifts and they all are different. I did most of them for Logic Pro and WOW.... what a difference. Of course I will share some with my PT forum peeps and my GS peeps. Just so you can get a real feel of the MPC3k. The one's in PT's are not even close... Sorry, there cool to get ya started though. It's just, I'm very very anal about making sure I do something right the first time so that I won't have to go back but, always seem to do it anyway. It took me 2 to 3 months everyday for about 10 hr's a day to make sure the groove templates were right for Logic Pro. I have to learn Beat Detective first, get that down really good then progress from there.
I'll let ya know when I'm getting close. Believe me, even after the 2 to 3 weeks, I'm still fine tuning and still haven't did the 8th Note Quantizing for Logic. Don't have the time now-a-days to put into it like I had.

Sorry for the long post.

Now back to the good stuff.

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 PM

For some reason, The elastic audio isn't real time like in the video. Takes about 4 sec to realize what to do then it does it. Is there a setting I need to change?

Marc

Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
For some reason, The elastic audio isn't real time like in the video. Takes about 4 sec to realize what to do then it does it. Is there a setting I need to change?

Marc
Are you in rendered processing mode? You need to switch to realtime then.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneOuse View Post
Are you in rendered processing mode? You need to switch to realtime then.
I'm in Realtime mode.....

Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 PM

For some reason, when I make the MPC the controller, and I want to record the midi coming from the MPC, I see it responding, but when I hit record and play the MPC, Pro Tools follows along but will not record anything. The red light just flashes in the mix window and on the transport bar it's still. When I take it out of MMC and put it back into Pro Tools being the controller everything records fine. I need the MPC to control Pro Tools. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanx in advance.

Marc

Old 12-18-2008, 02:40 AM

hey marc!

hope all is well with ya!

so do you think that pt 8 is good enough to get deacon to switch over to our side??LOL

curious as to how you like the new air plug in comparison to the stock logic plugs...for me the stock logic stuff is very use insomuch as i don't have to think about them too hard when building a track.

let me know if you need some extra hands getting the logic timings done...i've done a few of the mpc and cubase (which is remarkably close) via beatdetective and a few songs as well for a few friends of mine...we should compare notes.....

ej