Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-22-2022, 02:37 PM

Default Cpu usage

I am trying to get back into recording music again now that I I have some time away from work. Unfortunately I am running into CPU / AAE -1973 issues with very minimal plug ins in my session.
Attached is a screen shot of the CPU usage with the session "idle". Why is CPU usage at 100%

I am running a 2013 MacPro 10.14.6
3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5
64GB 1866 MHz DDR3

I am using an Apollo 8 as my interface. Weirdly it seems like plug ins in the Apollo console cause the CPU monitor in Pro Tools to be affected briefly but they are using DSP from the UAD Apollo 8.

Would love any guidance. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 5.20.49 PM.png (21.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-23-2022, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Cpu usage

That can happen if your buffer setting is very low. 32, for instance.

Have you gone through the suggestions on this page yet? Are all installed plugins up-to-date (whether or not they're instantiated in the session)? Are the Apollo drivers up-to-date? Is your OS compatible with your PT version?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-23-2022, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Cpu usage

you left off the most useful info... exact macOs version? and exact Pro Tools version?

If you are still stuck after trying standard troubleshooting, come back here and describe your setup and what you are doing in more detail, including session sample rate, IO buffer size and what exact troubleshooting you tried and what exactly happened.

In addition to not trying to run at tiny IO buffers sizes as David pointed out (should be no reason if you are monitoring through the Apollo Console) always start troubleshooting by trashing prefs, get Pete Gates free PT Prefs utility to make that easy.

You say using minimal plugins in your session...so there are some instantiated in Pro Tools? not just the Console. They might cause issues, especially if UAD plugins and you have a small IO Buffer, or it can actually be any installed plugin that has some problem, you don't even need to be using it, just have it installed in Pro Tools, which is why doing an early test of moving *all* .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder is such a great diagnostic test.