Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Re: ptcolors.txt Megathread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I updated and the custom dark mode settings remained intact.
You went from 2020.11 to 2020.12 and didn't have to redo the dark mode file? That's good to hear but the one I think people are worried about is going from 2020.11/12 to 2021.x

QAPLA!
Old 03-25-2021, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Dark Theme in Pro Tools 2020.11

I'm really diggin the blue bars/beats counter color.
Does anyone know where that line of code is so I can swap it out in this new 2021 update?
Old 03-25-2021, 10:41 PM

Sounds like most people won't agree with me, but I have used Dark Mode since it was introduced and enjoy working in it.

It took me a few long days to get used to it. I did end up adjusting my monitors a bit to brighten them up a little, but months later, I am doing great in Dark Mode (I'm not denying that others may be struggling some issues). I had another engineer come use my studio who switched it back to classic mode and now that I am used to Dark Mode, classic mode seems ugly, bright and dated looking.

The main area that I don't like with Dark Mode is that the velocities on MIDI notes aren't as extreme in color making it difficult to see velocity on notes in the MIDI Editor and I wish the Groups Suspended was a bigger difference (which I think they fixed in this new update).

But all in all, I enjoy Dark Mode and plan to keep using it.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-26-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Sounds like most people won't agree with me, but I have used Dark Mode since it was introduced and enjoy working in it.

It took me a few long days to get used to it. I did end up adjusting my monitors a bit to brighten them up a little, but months later, I am doing great in Dark Mode (I'm not denying that others may be struggling some issues). I had another engineer come use my studio who switched it back to classic mode and now that I am used to Dark Mode, classic mode seems ugly, bright and dated looking.

The main area that I don't like with Dark Mode is that the velocities on MIDI notes aren't as extreme in color making it difficult to see velocity on notes in the MIDI Editor and I wish the Groups Suspended was a bigger difference (which I think they fixed in this new update).

But all in all, I enjoy Dark Mode and plan to keep using it.
Are you using one of the edited dark mode files? If not grab the last one that I did which is in this thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414516
While it doesn't address the velocity on MIDI notes thing it does address the text color in the Groups list for suspended making the text red. There's also a change so that tracks that were made inactive show their plugins in red.

Agreed on going from dark mode to original - gave me a headache.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:03 AM

Thanks to those taking the time to posting your file file adjustments it is so very helpful to those of us coding luddites

Supposedly the new 2021.3 has addressed some user comments on Dark Mode, but what means exactly, remains to be seen.

I have downloaded 21.3 but not installed it and I believe I still have the Avid color txt file So when I decide to install i may just reinstall the original then update

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Thanks to those taking the time to posting your file file adjustments it is so very helpful to those of us coding luddites

Supposedly the new 2021.3 has addressed some user comments on Dark Mode, but what means exactly, remains to be seen.

I have downloaded 21.3 but not installed it and I believe I still have the Avid color txt file So when I decide to install i may just reinstall the original then update
Kevin: take a look at what innesreinar posted in post #78 of this thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414669&page=8
He posted links to dropbox screenshots of his Edit and Mix screens. As I wrote there it looks like Avid did most of what I did except for the colors of the title bars and floating window title bars.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2021, 10:32 AM

Tried the updated Dark Mode in 2021.3, and switched it right back to Classic.

I don't know but my eyes/brain don't work in dark mode. For example, having a white page with black font is natural, my eyes can read it very easily. WIth a black page and white font, somehow my brain kicks into overdrive. Instead of the fonts reaching my brain (passive mode), now my brain has to kick into some sort of active mode and has to decipher the information.

Now when I look at the black Edit Window or Mix WIndow, it looks cool, but I can't see anything. Instead of the information presented to me, I have to look hard to see and read the information.

I don't know if that makes sense, and if it is just me. And it is not about liking or not liking it. I like the look, but it doesn't work for me.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 03-26-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post

I don't know but my eyes/brain don't work in dark mode. For example, having a white page with black font is natural, my eyes can read it very easily. WIth a black page and white font, somehow my brain kicks into overdrive. Instead of the fonts reaching my brain (passive mode), now my brain has to kick into some sort of active mode and has to decipher the information.

Now when I look at the black Edit Window or Mix WIndow, it looks cool, but I can't see anything. Instead of the information presented to me, I have to look hard to see and read the information.

I don't know if that makes sense, and if it is just me. And it is not about liking or not liking it. I like the look, but it doesn't work for me.
I rather like dark mode especially after the file has been edited. Speaking of that I installed 2020.12 and the new dark mode is a mix of things that those of us have done here but there's some legibility things that are not there. Like the meter scale and such in the mix screen - it's not the bright white done in the modded dark mode files that have been shown here. Give me time to figure it out.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post

It's definitely not just you, it makes perfect sense, I feel exactly the same. It's not dark mode in general though that troubles me, Apple macos dark mode gives a cosy feeling. Avid vs Apple 0 - 1 😌
Old 03-26-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Kevin: take a look at what innesreinar posted in post #78 of this thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414669&page=8
He posted links to dropbox screenshots of his Edit and Mix screens. As I wrote there it looks like Avid did most of what I did except for the colors of the title bars and floating window title bars.
Thanks for the info

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...