Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Default A little trick for Melodyne Editor users

Some may already be hip to this, but it just dawned on me, so I thought I would share it, in case it helps others. One part of using Melodyne that I find critical(and time consuming) is; rendering the "repaired" audio back into the session(recording what Melodyne has tuned). I always commit for a few reasons. 1-you can't edit audio while its IN Melodyne(beyond what you can do inside the plugin). 2-the plugin is a bit of a resource hog so I like to make it inactive as soon as I can.

Anyway, my previous method was to bypass any other plugins on the track, default the fader to -0(turn off the automation), send it to a new audio track, record it, then copy/paste it back onto the original track and delete the Melodyne plugin(more on this in a moment). Lots of steps to make that happen, so here's a way to save several.

Once your track is tuned(doesn't matter what it is, really), now I leave the original track just the way it is, plugins, automation, whatever. I add a track next to my tuned track and just drag the Melodyne plugin from the original track to the blank track(I use AUDIO but AUX may work as well). All the audio is residing in the plugin, so it now plays back on the new track. Route to a bus, change the input on the original track to that bus, put the original track into record, add a new playlist, and enter record. Your tuned audio will record to the track where it belongs, without needing to adjust faders or bypass any plugins

This is also just as handy for little spot tuning, and you can make the new track(where you moved the plugin to) inactive. You won't lose the tuned audio in the plugin so you can revisit if you need to.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Default Re: A little trick for Melodyne Editor users

albee1952, I was just contemplating using a pitch correction plug in on some vocal tracks until I read this! I have to tell you, it scared hell out of me! Seriously, why is this process soo complicated? At least it seems to be to me, considering my lack of skills at digital trickery! Is there an easier process? And please explain rendering the tuned track. Thanks for putting up with me.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM

Hey Terry, its actually not complicated at all. I was just trying to be very thorough in detailing my process. With Melodyne, you insert the plugin, click on the TRANSFER button(upper left) and play the track(which loads it into the plugin) When you hit STOP, Melodyne analyzes and then shows the blobs on the plugin(looks like a piano roll with blobs instead of dots). The process inside the plugin depends on how fancy you need to get. If stuff is close, you can just double-click on a blob and it will snap to the nearest exact note. If that's all it needed, you can just close the plugin and go about your mix. but the audio is now playing from the plugin, so editing(like copy/paste/nudge) won't work(your audio is being held "hostage" in the plugin). That's my main reason for recording the tuned audio back into the session. This is just my method. Others have different work flows and use different plugins to achieve similar results. Maybe head over to youtube and search for tutorials on the "big three" and see if you prefer one of the other options(or come to Nashville and I'll give you a lesson on Melodyne)

Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Nifty!

I tend to tune / repair before I'm inserting other plugins, and automating, but your technique is a great addition to the bag of tricks - well done!

There is also this method of pseudo-track freeze.

(originally brought up in this thread).

Cheers!
Old 08-19-2016, 01:50 AM

HI all - just came across this very interesting thread from a couple of years ago. When I try the excellent Melodyne rendering trick from albee1952, my rendered audio file ends up out of time (slightly early). I know I can nudge this back, but is there any way around the problem? Thanks all!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkeyboards View Post
HI all - just came across this very interesting thread from a couple of years ago. When I try the excellent Melodyne rendering trick from albee1952, my rendered audio file ends up out of time (slightly early). I know I can nudge this back, but is there any way around the problem? Thanks all!

hmm, don't know why as I have not seen this

Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 AM

I know this is an old thread, but re: delay - dbl check to make sure you don't have delay compensation on when printing maybe?

Mobile: MBP Retina 2.6 HGz Intel Core i7 w 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running macOS Catalina (10.15.7) w/ Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12

Studio: Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM running OS X 10.8.5 using Pro Tools v10.3.9 & v11.3.2 HDX w/ AVID HD I/O
Old 03-25-2019, 04:39 PM

And, in any case, you can always use the original audio as a timing reference and SPOT the rendered audio(use Tab to Transient to find the exact sample placement of the first transient).