Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 AM

Default Control tempo with MOD wheel

Allo,

Does anyone know if it's possible to control (and write automation for) the main session tempo using a midi MOD wheel.

I have a piece of delicate piano music recorded and quantised in midi and now I want to vary the tempo in places to give it expression and nuance. I'd also like any tempo variations (like rallantando or rubato etc) to show in the score view.

Any ideas if this is possible and how to do it apart from drawing the tempo changes manually (i'd like to be able to push and pull the tempo live).

Thanks for any thoughts or info.

Wayne
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Control tempo with MOD wheel

To my knowledge the answer is unfortunately no.

Recently I engineered an electronic track where the Producer wanted it to slow down in the middle. It was one of those things where it needed to be felt and performed real time, but despite scouring the Protools reference manual and DUC, I found no way of achieving this.

The tempo operations window does have some options for making tempo "curves" parabolic etc, which ended up helping in my situation, but at the end of the day, it was all contrived. A bit like drawing in piano parts on a midi editor.

One thing I didn't explore was getting Protools to chase a hardware sequencer with a tempo knob. . . maybe it'd work.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for that Allstaar,

Thats what I presumed. I think i'll be following the same route as you used and draw in the tempo changes as realistically as I can.

I don't have an outboard sampler so I'll leave that for someone else to experiment with

Cheers
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM

They both would be exciting if they worked!
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!