Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-05-2022, 06:27 AM

Default Crossover Ethernet cables

I only recently noticed on the user guides of the S1, S3 and Dock that the units come with an ethernet crossover cable in the box.

Curiously and due to installation lengths on our specific setups, we never used the cable that came in the box and always used straight ethernet cables to connect S3 and Dock and they work fine.

On one setup an S3 is connected directly to a mid 2010 MAC PRO via a USB to Ethernet adapter and on another studio, the Dock is connected to an S3 ethernet port B and from it´s port A to a Cisco switch where an iMAC PRO ethernet is also connected.

So I´m a bit puzzled now. Some older Artist Mix units also use straight ethernet cables and also work fine.

Is this because the MAC´s and the Cisco switch can detect the mismatch on the cabling and correct it internally?

Any insights appreciated. Thanks

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 05-05-2022, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Crossover Ethernet cables

Macs have had auto crossover support (aka auto MDI-X ) for many years. I assume a crossover cable is included for systems that don’t support this, although it would be better if Avid pointed out its not needed in many (most?) situations now.

I am not following the switch question, by definition a Ethernet device to switch is a “straight through” cable.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Macs have had auto crossover support (aka auto MDI-X ) for many years. I assume a crossover cable is included for systems that don’t support this, although it would be better if Avid pointed out its not needed in many (most?) situations now.
Agree, the manuals of all the devices listed, don´t make any mention about the situations where the included crossover cable it´s not needed.

Quote:
I am not following the switch question, by definition a Ethernet device to switch is a “straight through” cable.
Exactly, I always connect straight ethernet cables when going to a switch. So, if the S3 has a builtin 2 port ethernet switch, don´t see the point of going from the Dock to the S3 port B with a crossover cable.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 05-06-2022, 08:46 AM
Avid

These days either cable will work as its auto detected in anything produced in the past 10 years.