Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-18-2021, 06:28 PM

Default Pro Tools locating plug ins

I’m running Pro Tools 10.3.10 on a Mac and I recently bought the Sonnox Oxford Inflator and Limiter plug ins. I downloaded them, registered them with my iLok and followed all the prompts and everything was successful but I can’t get them to come up in pro tools. I had an issue with pro tools locating my waves plug ins when I got them and I had to move my plug ins folder( I’ve tried moving the sonnox folder into my current plug ins folder and they still didn’t show up) is it possible I screwed something up back when I moved my waves plug ins folder or is there something else I can be trying?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools locating plug ins

This is not a Avid/Pro Tools or user issue.

To install plugins you run the installers. That's it, you should not need to do anything different. If the installer does not work it means something is wrong, just moving stuff around is unlikely to help.

In this case the recent (Gen 5) Sonnox plugins you mention are AAX-64 only so won't work with Pro Tools 10. e.g the file command shows only a 64-bit executable in the plugin bundle.

$ pwd
/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/Oxford Inflator.aaxplugin/Contents/MacOS
$ file Oxford\ Inflator
Oxford Inflator: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

I thought (but am not sure) that Sonnox claimed their AAX plugins support includes both AAX-64 and AAX-32 as well as RTAS, and here is no RTAS in the G5 installer. So seems Sonnox might be ********ting folks. Contact their customer support and maybe get a refund, or upgrade to Pro Tools 64-bit.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:32 PM

Ok yea I checked before I bought and it said it was supported by my version of pro tools and Mac OSX, maybe they are lying, I just emailed the company, thanks
Old 11-18-2021, 07:41 PM

It says 32/64 bit where I download it but I don’t know how to tell if it is actually 32/ 64 bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2021, 07:42 PM

The file name doesn’t say anything about 32/64 bit

Old 11-18-2021, 07:46 PM

But this folder that these Oxford plug ins are in is not the folder I’ve chose for pro tools to look for plug ins when I start up, I’ve tried to select this folder and it won’t let me, it will only let me select my separate waves folder for my plug ins

Old 11-18-2021, 07:57 PM

Oh yep they really claimed that, was not my imagination.

The way to tell for sure is to install and use the file command like I did above.

An AAX plugin that supports both AAX-32 and AAX-64 would show like the following example (note you need to look at the actual plugin executable buried in the plugin bundle, not the top level .aaxplugin bundle wrapper/directory):

$ pwd
/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/moogerfooger AD.aaxplugin/Contents/MacOS
$ file *
moogerfooger AD: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386:Mach-O bundle i386] [x86_64]
moogerfooger AD (for architecture i386): Mach-O bundle i386
moogerfooger AD (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

It's possible to look into installers without installing them and check what they support with file, e.g. the Suspicious Package utility makes that easy, but mere mortals should not need to do this.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amscheme View Post
But this folder that these Oxford plug ins are in is not the folder I’ve chose for pro tools to look for plug ins when I start up, I’ve tried to select this folder and it won’t let me, it will only let me select my separate waves folder for my plug ins

Wot? What you're saying makes no sense. You have absolutely no control of where Pro Tools looks for plugins to load. (You could create a symbolic link, to point where Pro Tools does look to elsewhere, but stuff like that is a bad idea for multiple reasons).

All AAX plugins are in /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins and nowhere else. You have no control over that.

As I said don't goof around trying to move stuff. The only things you can move is to tell different VIs where they can find their samples... if they support doing that.

Don't mess around, if PlugIn installers are not working and you can't work out why just contact the vendor. This is not rocket science for the plugin developers and very few plugin installers fail. (these did not fail they worked *perfectly*, just they installed plugins that were not built to run on Pro Tools 10.)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:52 PM

Gotcha thanks