Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Best way to convert Sound Designer II files to wav?

Well since nobody mentioned it SoundMiner, at least the version I have, will read and convert SD2 files.

As to the "it will open old sessions" part, it seems they were correct in that the sessions open, it's the sound file format that is a problem. ProTools had WAV as an option going pretty far back. I think it was PT4 that it showed up but maybe 5? Point is it's the files you need to convert the sessions seem to be opening.

Now this started as a convert SD2 to WAV need, but it looks like you are really looking for a way to convert the sound files AND the session file.

The best and most compatible way to do that is to open it in an older version of PT and "save copy in" (that menu option may have changed names in later versions of PT but that is what it's called at least through PT9. In the dialog that comes up you would choose to convert to WAV and use the latest session format.

If all you want is the file conversion then SoundMiner will let you batch the whole thing up, and you get a fantastic sound librarian in the bargain.

As long as the files are for PT sessions then keeping them as .L/.R is fine. But for most purposes it's not. SM will let you convert them to interleaved stereo at the same time it is converting to WAV.

Just adding a .WAV extension may work for some files and some applications but it is not a general solution. You really need to convert so the meta data that is in the recourse fork gets added to the file header. Just adding the extension should not work at all but obviously it does for some. If you do that I would open the file with whatever will open it and then save it so it has a proper WAV header. Otherwise those files are time bombs.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:35 PM

I have some old SD2 files I need to open and convert. Is there someone out there who could do this for me? I'd be happy to compensate. I've scoured the internet for a way to open these files, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to find someone that can run Sound Designer. Otherwise, is there somewhere I can download the app. I still have my old MBP 2009, with El Capitan, if that helps.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado23 View Post
I have some old SD2 files I need to open and convert. Is there someone out there who could do this for me? I'd be happy to compensate. I've scoured the internet for a way to open these files, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to find someone that can run Sound Designer. Otherwise, is there somewhere I can download the app. I still have my old MBP 2009, with El Capitan, if that helps.

If you need to recover a whole Pro Tools session pre PC compatibility, I’ll help. Otherwise, you can import raw data even into Audacity. You just need to know the sample rate, bit depth and that sd2 files were big endian.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-17-2021, 04:05 AM

There is this old programme that may work.
http://www.railjonrogut.com/sdTwoWav.htm
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n