Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2002, 06:47 PM

Default new protools digo 001 user need help with I/0s connections and how to route them

i am a new protools user and i need help connetcting my euipment i have digi ool , g4 mac,
tascam dm 24 mixer, two blue baby bottles mics, hafler 1600 amp, event monitors, behringer headphone amp, and sony cdrw33 burner if any one of you expert protools engineer can give a simple and best way to get the maximum performance out of my system it would be wonderful thanks alot
all suggestions are welcome

p.s. please be very very specific thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 07:41 PM

Default Re: new protools digo 001 user need help with I/0s connections and how to route them

Jamarie,

If you have the version 2.0 update of the DM24's firmware, then here is how I would set things up:

All input equipment and mics into the DM24 inputs.
Send anything you want to record PreFader and PreEQ Direct Out to the ADAT lightpipe out to Digi 001 ADAT in.

Send a monitor mix of these channels on the DM-24 to the headphone amp from a Stereo Aux Send from the DM-24. This way you can monitor in the headphones with no latenency from the 001.

Send the Control Room monitor out to your Hafler Amp and speakers. Then you can monitor either what the headphones are getting (the aux tracks) or the main stereo mix.

If you need to record more tracks than 8, you'll have to go analog into the Digi001. If you do not have the analog out option for the DM-24, you'll probably have to use aux sends.

Return the ProTools mix with ADAT lightpipe into the DM24. I would use the same channels that the mics were on, that way everything sounds the same as the headphone mix. You can start your mix already. You'll need to set it up the channels to now be "tape return" from the 001 ADAT outs. OR... return the ADAT outs into new channles on the DM-24 (like a "split console": playback and record channels are different). OR... if you are going to mix in Pro Tools, you can just send SPDIF from the 001 and monitor the 1-2 outputs from ProTools.

You'll need to sync the clock of the ProTools and the DM-24 with either the ADAT or the SPDIF. I don't know which unit has the better clock, but some experimentaion should tell you. Specifics on this are in the manuals.

I don't have a DM-24, but I've been reading about it and this is how I would set it up. Good luck... you have a great system.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:12 AM

Default Re: new protools digo 001 user need help with I/0s connections and how to route them

thanks alot ive been busy lately and i have not had alot of time to get to my studio but as soon as i can i will try that set much thanks