Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-15-2021, 02:52 PM

Default What's the Transfer Record button appear like?

Please post image of "Transport Record button"? I keep on finding it mentioned in my "Intro to Pro Tools" .pdf manual. Thanks in advance for your help & patience.

Last edited by LivingMeme; 05-16-2021 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Input Transport to replace Transfer
Old 05-15-2021, 03:22 PM

Default Re: What's the Transfer Record button appear like?

Do you by chance mean the "transport record button"? That's just referring to the "transport" which is the floating window of main controls as seen below. This window can be placed anywhere you want it, even dragged to a 2nd screen for handy access. If you don't see it, look under the "Window" menu, scroll down, and select it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transport.jpg (19.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2021, 03:23 PM

ITs not really a function in either window(MIX or EDIT) but its a checkbox to tell PT how to address hard drives(it might be found on the Workspace page, but I'm not sure as I have not seen or used the workspace in a decade). "Record" means that you can record to that drive. "Transfer" means that the drive can only be used to transfer data to another session or system, but cannot be recorded to. Search the help files(aka the manual) for more details

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-15-2021, 03:38 PM

Yes there are three kinds of drives; transfer, playback and record. You can change the settings in Workspace Window
Old 05-15-2021, 06:04 PM

OK, my lame answer forced me to go find what you knowledgable guys are talking about - which must be this popup menu in Workspace which gives you those drive options. Is that what the OP is searching for?
I sure learn a lot in here. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popup.jpg (21.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
Do you by chance mean the "transport record button"? That's just referring to the "transport" which is the floating window of main controls as seen below. This window can be placed anywhere you want it, even dragged to a 2nd screen for handy access. If you don't see it, look under the "Window" menu, scroll down, and select it.
Thanks again, JJ. All of you are correct in a way, but I was erroneously referring to the "Transport Record button" as JJ described and displayed (above).
Old 05-16-2021, 07:01 AM

As I re-read the original, I realized I may have been on the wrong path. It sounds like you are just starting out so there is a ton to learn. Your best approach is to hit youtube and type something like "getting started in Pro Tools"(without the "") and watch some tutorials. If you don't mind spending a little money(and it will be well-spent), groove3.com offers some of the best tutorials available

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave