Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 05-15-2024, 10:59 PM

Default Behringer ADA8200 8-channel Microphone Preamp

What do you guys think of the Behringer ADA8200 8-channel Microphone Preamp? And have any of you connected this ADAT to your MBOX Studio?

Computer: Dell Inspiron 3020
Audio Interface: Avid MBOX Studio
DAW: Avid Pro Tools 2023
Electronic Acoustic Drum Module: Yamaha EAD10
Mics: Shure SM58, Audio-Technica AT2020
Monitors: Tannoy Reveal 501a
IEM: Xvive U4T9 Wireless IEM System
Mixing Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Drums: 7 Piece Tama Superstar Classic Kit
Cymbals: Sabian HHX Complex
Drums: 4 Piece Tama Club-Jam Suitcase Kit
Cymbals: Sabian Pro

Last edited by MightyT; 05-16-2024 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Behringer ADA8200 8-channel Microphone Preamp

Compared to what? For what use? With what microphones?

It's a low-cost ADAT preamp. If you need lowest cost it's a kinda obvious choice. Although my bias against Beringer would probably have me go with Presonus's ADAT preamp.

It only does base sample rates, so 44.1 or 48 kHz, no 96kHz or above, no SMUX support, and since the MBox Studio only has a single ADAT input that is likely not an issue. The Mbox Studio can do 4 channel 96KHz ADAT via S/MUX on the single ADAT input, but the ADA8200 is limited to a max of 48kHz. None of which is likely an issue unless you think you *have* to work at higher sample rates, just be aware of the limits. These limits are not atypical of low-end ADAT preamps.

Since the MBox Studio does not have Wordclock you will need to clock from the ADA8200, or need to clock the ADA8200 from the ADAT Out on the Mbox Studio. Nice that the ADA8200 includes 8 outputs but that is likely largely useless with the 8 I/O DAW return limit of the Mbox Studio.

I would have no expectations of any type of digital problems as long as you understand the basic limitations mentioned earlier like sample rate. ADAT is pretty simple, stuff tends to just work.

I'd also have low expectations that the preamps sound "good" say for my use of outboard Neve clones or the quiet performance of the latest RME preamps. But they are orders of magnitude or more more expensive. It all depends on what your expectations are and what they preamps are going to be used for.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Compared to what? For what use? With what microphones?
Thanks so much! I appreciate the honest pros and cons. They are helpful and set expectations! 👍🏻

So, as you can see from my prior posts, I’m an old drummer, new to audio. My goal for this would to add 8 mics for my drum kit. In essence play drumless tracks, while recording myself playing covers through the ADAT, through the MBOX to Pro Tools.. This is a home audio, not a studio. As for mics, I don’t have any but one SM58 and an AT2020, but the plan is to buy a drum mic kit next.

I’m really not comparing to anything. Though I have heard they made some crappy stuff, some folks called this the jewel since they got the Midus Preamps from the company that took over.

Think that answered your questions, I’m not a pro by any stretch, just trying to expand my knowledge.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 3020
Audio Interface: Avid MBOX Studio
DAW: Avid Pro Tools 2023
Electronic Acoustic Drum Module: Yamaha EAD10
Mics: Shure SM58, Audio-Technica AT2020
Monitors: Tannoy Reveal 501a
IEM: Xvive U4T9 Wireless IEM System
Mixing Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Drums: 7 Piece Tama Superstar Classic Kit
Cymbals: Sabian HHX Complex
Drums: 4 Piece Tama Club-Jam Suitcase Kit
Cymbals: Sabian Pro
Old 05-16-2024, 07:51 AM

I don't have one but it has a reputation of being "very good enough" if that makes sense. As in if it fits the budget it won't have any negative impact on your ability to record. The older model was fine for line-ins. I imagine the Midas influenced preamps would be an improvement on this one.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:18 AM

Darryl laid some excellent info to consider. I have used the ADA8200, along with several other 8 channel lightpipe preamps. For a tight budget, it is surprisingly good(I believe the preamps are the same as the X32 console). For my money, the next level up($400-600) is not worth the extra cost. What IS worth the extra cost(especially for drums) is the Midas XL-48. It beat everything else I had(Vintech, Five Fish, Focusrite OctoPre Mk II and Focusrite ISA-428, which was best for overheads/hat/ride). The other one I would look into is the Audient ASP800(or 880?)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyT View Post
Thanks so much! I appreciate the honest pros and cons. They are helpful and set expectations! ����

So, as you can see from my prior posts, I’m an old drummer, new to audio. My goal for this would to add 8 mics for my drum kit. In essence play drumless tracks, while recording myself playing covers through the ADAT, through the MBOX to Pro Tools.. This is a home audio, not a studio. As for mics, I don’t have any but one SM58 and an AT2020, but the plan is to buy a drum mic kit next.

I’m really not comparing to anything. Though I have heard they made some crappy stuff, some folks called this the jewel since they got the Midus Preamps from the company that took over.

Think that answered your questions, I’m not a pro by any stretch, just trying to expand my knowledge.
Thanks, it's helpful when you clarify uses like this, and none of us have likely have time to dig though other posts to work stuff out.

You likely just won't make a mistake buying this and since you are learning stuff it's good to get going.

You can easily spend a small fortune on mics and preamps, and even miscellaneous gear and room treatments etc. And the main thing here is probably to get going and get stuff done and along the way learn about micing a drum kit for what you want to do. And this ADAT mic pre is not going to hold you back doing that. And you can A/B the ADAT preamps with the Mbox Studio preamps and see if that makes a difference for you.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:03 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention, even though the Mbox inputs 5-8 are TRS and have no phantom power, they do have enough gain for dynamic mics on drums(just use an adapter to convert the mic's XLR to TRS)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave