Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 AM

Default Anyone running Pro Tools 9 M-Powered off an SSD / Solid State Drive?

Hi,

I know Avid say they haven't test PT9 and it's not qualified for use on SSDs.. but has anyone got any actual real world experience of it?

thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Anyone running Pro Tools 9 M-Powered off an SSD / Solid State Drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tele View Post
Running HD9 here. I will say that I have gotten the "blue screen of death". I discovered that it was my Profire 2626 Firewire interface causing the problem. I had to disable the interface in the Windows sound and hardware control panel.

I'm still experimenting, but seems to be working fine so far.
So you think the firewire interface was the issue rather than the SSD? HD9 is listed as not tested/qualified for SSD as well as MP9 isn't it, so hopefully MP9 should work on it too if HD9 does?
I'm amazed at the lack of information on this on the net though.. and answers on the DUC! Thanks for your help though mate.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Anyone running Pro Tools 9 M-Powered off an SSD / Solid State Drive?

FWIW, SSD seems to be fine as the C: drive, but not so good as a recording drive. Pro Tools also needs to be installed on C:

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, SSD seems to be fine as the C: drive, but not so good as a recording drive. Pro Tools also needs to be installed on C:
Thanks albee, thats what I hoped.

PS, will I be ok with an external 3.5" USB 3.0 7200rpm drive as my recording drive? Even if my OS drive is a 5400rpm drive?

thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tele View Post
Update... I had another BSOD today. While waking up the computer from sleep mode.

What's interesting is that I don't even have Pro Tools installed?

I do have my M-Audio Profire driver installed. But I didn't have the Profire powered on, and it was disabled in the Windows sound and hardware control panel.

I've been thinking for a while now that this 2012 SSD may not be 100% compatible with my 2008 motherboard, cpu, and ram?

I'm thinking of pulling this SSD and popping a new SATA back in.

I may try this SSD with a new build and see how that goes.
That is interesting. I guess it makes sense as they are such new technology.

Keep us updated!

thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM

I am running it off my SSD without any issues. I have issues but it's related to the bios of my MB so it's not related.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 AM

Thanks mouasic, thats good to know. By the way, which SSD drive do you use? And is this on a desktop PC?

thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Smile Re: Anyone running Pro Tools 9 M-Powered off an SSD / Solid State Drive?

I am running Pro Tools MP on a HP Elite 8560 with a SSD and use the M Audio interface and have had no problems whatsoever except for static when resources get too low. I have a i5 3 ghz cpu and 8 gigs of RAM installed and record to an external WD hard drive. Very pleased with the experience except the noise issue that I am trying to figure out. I have my system fully optimized for Pro Tools and maintain it once a week. I leave PT running for days at a time and it is super stable and have had no BSOD's.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerob View Post
Thanks mouasic, thats good to know. By the way, which SSD drive do you use? And is this on a desktop PC?

thanks
WoW sorry I totally forgot I to come back and check. I run a Kingston Hyper X 120gb SSD. Running on a Desktop PC with Windows 7x 64bit ultimate.