Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2002, 02:58 PM

Default Has anyone had this problem with their Apple Studio Display?

when i hit the power button on my g4 it starts up ok, but the screen doesnt. (not all the time.....its a 50 / 50 thing)

you can hear the display is active, but there is no picture.
i have to wait till the g4 boots up, then i have to put it in sleep mode, then turn it back on, and then finally the screen shows up with a picture. this is odd, what can be the problem?

all my cables are connected, etc....
is this just a defect? anyone have this problem at one time or another?
Old 09-27-2002, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Has anyone had this problem with their Apple Studio Display?

I don't have that problem. I always start up by touching the "on" "button" on the monitor itself. Not sure if that affects anything.

What setup do you have (machine, special graphics cards, etc.)?

I just love my 17" Studio display. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2002, 01:22 PM

I dont use a apple studio display, but i have the same problems when sometimes watching dvds on my powerbook. The comp changes the screen resolution and icons become scattered on the desktop.

Ive heard there are freeware programs that solve this program though, as they remember icon placments on the desktop.

I only found out about this a few days ago, so ill be downloading one of those programs soon.

Perhaps its worth taking a look at , if you have the same problems.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:33 PM

From a mac tech point of view, carefully examine your extensions folder
an make sure you don't have any conflicting or unnecesary video drivers installed.

Slightly OT, but I read a post on macintouch.com about a shareware app that records the position of all your desktop icons at any resolution. Then if you need to switch resolutions or your display resets, you can just reload the previous configuration. Might help those of you with monitor problems.
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 09-28-2002, 01:53 PM

Same 50/50 problem with my Tibook and external Sony monitor under OSX. Use to do the sleep mode thing, Now I usually open display prefs and hit "identify monitor" and it brings the second monitor up.
www.icedrum.com
Old 09-28-2002, 03:05 PM

i called apple care last night, and they told me to open the 533 g4 up and hit the little button (it's no bigger than a dime) on the logic board, right above the battery. (hold it in for 3 seconds)

i have to do this with the power cord unplugged but the display cord plugged in.

by hitting this button they said it should reset how things (the display for one) are being recognized right now by the g4, and it should get things to work good.
so they said the g4 would then recognize the display and turn it on right away, instead of having to do the sleep mode thing.

ill try it on monday. hope this works. sounds like it should. yeah i love my studio display too.......when it chooses to listen to me. but i'm gonna learn him a lesson on monday.....i hope.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 12:55 AM

I have this problem about 5-10% of the time. It makes no sense... so I just restart and then arrange all my desktop icons by type because they're scattered in the center (they're arranged as if the monitor was set to 600x400... that might be a clue). It's only a minor inconvenience for me.

50/50 sounds like a hassle. Have you tried using different profiles in the monitor control panel? Are the correct drivers installed?