Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2022, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Unstable 2022.6

Ok, I did everything Avid is recommending. After that, I kept my 5 plug-ins still in use and a few days the system was stable. Yesterday the problems came back.
This is actually quite frustrated. I should debug the system taking out every plug-in and taking them back one in a time. It can take a week to find a plug-in, which is causing problem. Also, the time is useless, because I need those plug ins in my projects. So, I should just use PT....just use, not making any music.

Anybody idea, is there any better way to find that uncompatible plug-in? If it's a plug-in... surely it can be also some other issue (HW related etc)
Old 07-12-2022, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2 View Post
Ok, I did everything Avid is recommending. After that, I kept my 5 plug-ins still in use and a few days the system was stable. Yesterday the problems came back.
This is actually quite frustrated. I should debug the system taking out every plug-in and taking them back one in a time. It can take a week to find a plug-in, which is causing problem. Also, the time is useless, because I need those plug ins in my projects. So, I should just use PT....just use, not making any music.

Anybody idea, is there any better way to find that uncompatible plug-in? If it's a plug-in... surely it can be also some other issue (HW related etc)
Some more info may help.

You still getting an AAE CPU error? Spinning beach balls or what exactly? What exact error number?

What exactly are these five plugins you have installed now and need? Have you searched DUC or the plugin vendors websites etc for any other folks having problems? And what are you doing in a session, if you are running EZ Drums and Autotune and Kontakt well maybe it's doing OK for what it is and you need to look at your workflow and say freeze VI tracks. Are you running any UAD plugins in the session? If so then problem at 256 IO buffer may not be unusual.

What sample rate are you using? Are you running at 256 IO buffer still?

There are a lot of steps to fully troubleshoot stuff. And "I did all" tells us just about nothing e.g. what exactly have you done? you checked the plugins are all up to date? What have you tried since the problem came back? Did you run all this time from a new admin account? You trashing prefs using PTPrefs?

Maybe you still have a very intermittent plugin issue, nobody here can guess. You need to keep troubleshooting.

Yes you won't make much progress one plugin at a time in a linear search. So do a binary search instead: Put half of the ones you need back and see what happens, nothing then you are set with those, put half the remaining ones back etc.

But it's taking too long to reproduce each AAE CPU error. You need to get the system to fail more easily, so reduce the IO Buffer size and hopefully you can get it fails frequently enough to be easier to troubleshoot, and make sure ignore errors is not set. Are you still running at 256 sampel IO buffer? Within reason, decrease that size until the problem happens more frequently (say about every few to 10 minutes), then you can test stuff more effectively, otherwise if its not happening fairly frequently then it's just about impossible to troubleshoot efficiently.

Have you checked that all plugins are the absolute latest/claimed compatible versions? Also stop moving them back manually and download clean new installers from the vendors and run those installers.

You should be trashing prefs with PT Prefs frequently as you try different things.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-12-2022 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:18 AM

Maybe you want to read my previous posts

Anyway, besides Avid plug-ins, there is just 4 third party plug-ins...not 5 (you can see them in my earlier post). Sorry typo.
Also, the problems occurs now more rearly....so, its also more time consuming to find out, what is going on.

Last edited by Ride2; 07-12-2022 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:20 PM

If I am asking detailed questions its because stuff is not clear. Good luck sorting this out by yourself.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:28 PM

As someone who has had their crazy problems solved by Darryl more times than I can count I just want to point out what an asset he is to this forum.

I'm sure the majority would agree and he's saved me a ton of calls to tech support over the years.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 07-12-2022, 06:20 PM

I agree regarding Darryl's patience and frankly extreme politeness when people are not willing to answer his questions but keep saying "anyone?" I wouldn't take it for granted, but I use this forum for "free" -- this is free collaborative support. That's really, really valuable. I haven't posted all the time, but I have searched and read other answers for years, because usually.. "It has been asked before..."

(Or so I have heard )

Thanks Darryl!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 07-12-2022, 09:26 PM

I have the same problem! Every time I open up a session and try to record or mix whatever, my session would just ends up crashing and it's annoying because I can't get any work done. At first, I thought it was my plugins but I press/hold shift before opening up my session same thing would happen and it crashes after 5-10 min of use. somebody had said it probably because it's not M1 native which is odd because avid should've optimized Pro Tools for Apple silicon well over a year now! if anyone has a fix to this would be really helpful also I have a M1 Macbook Air with 8gb RAM I also thought it was because of my ram but I always run around 5-6.8 of memory while using Pro Tools well before I updated to 2022.6.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdmSuli View Post
I have the same problem! Every time I open up a session and try to record or mix whatever, my session would just ends up crashing and it's annoying because I can't get any work done. At first, I thought it was my plugins but I press/hold shift before opening up my session same thing would happen and it crashes after 5-10 min of use. somebody had said it probably because it's not M1 native which is odd because avid should've optimized Pro Tools for Apple silicon well over a year now! if anyone has a fix to this would be really helpful also I have a M1 Macbook Air with 8gb RAM I also thought it was because of my ram but I always run around 5-6.8 of memory while using Pro Tools well before I updated to 2022.6.
Nobody has a "fix for this" because nobody has any clue what your problem is and just cannot guess.

Please don't spam onto other people's threads. You have no idea you have any problem related to this one. You need to troubleshoot your situation. Going though the standard troubleshooting steps as a starting point. And then you should start your own thread if still stuck.

Claim that problems are caused by not being a native port are silly and a waste of time. Again many many users are running fine on these releases. The cause is likely something specific to your setup and/or workflow. Starting with you have a system with half the recommended memory.

Are you tracking or mixing? If tracking are you software or hardware monitoring. ===>> which leads to what is the IO buffer size? ... if you are having CPU errors that's the key thing. What are all those settings on the playback engine dialog you are using?

I have not sure what you are talking about with "run around xxx memory". The memory metric you should be looking at to start with is the memory pressure chart at the bottom of the memory page in Activity Monitor. And it seems pretty easy to run out of memory on these 8GB MBP and that could easily cause sporadic CPU errors in Pro Tools but no problems in other apps. So what is the memory pressure chart showing over a long period of time as you use Pro Tools?

You also don't provide any real information. What exact error? What interface? What IO Buffer size? What session sample rate? etc. All stuff expected of you here. Start at "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. Disk cache should be set to "Normal" on a memory under configured system like this. Make sure other apps, especially bloated Web browsers like Chrome are not running. These are way under configured computers for all but the smallest sessions.

You should also be "hard removing" plugins for slightly better tests, actually move all the .aaxplugin files out of the plugins folder. Test with that, after trashing prefs, etc. Test starting with new empty sessions, test from a new admin account, test using built in output as the playback engine etc. See the troubleshooting guide. All done with ignore errors not checked so you will see errors.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:28 AM

Any moderators hanging around?
Quite annoying to read this kind of writings.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nobody has a "fix for this" because nobody has any clue what your problem is and just cannot guess.

Please don't spam onto other people's threads. You have no idea you have any problem related to this one. You need to troubleshoot your situation. Going though the standard troubleshooting steps as a starting point. And then you should start your own thread if still stuck.

Claim that problems are caused by not being a native port are silly and a waste of time. Again many many users are running fine on these releases. The cause is likely something specific to your setup and/or workflow. Starting with you have a system with half the recommended memory.

Are you tracking or mixing? If tracking are you software or hardware monitoring. ===>> which leads to what is the IO buffer size? ... if you are having CPU errors that's the key thing. What are all those settings on the playback engine dialog you are using?

I have not sure what you are talking about with "run around xxx memory". The memory metric you should be looking at to start with is the memory pressure chart at the bottom of the memory page in Activity Monitor. And it seems pretty easy to run out of memory on these 8GB MBP and that could easily cause sporadic CPU errors in Pro Tools but no problems in other apps. So what is the memory pressure chart showing over a long period of time as you use Pro Tools?

You also don't provide any real information. What exact error? What interface? What IO Buffer size? What session sample rate? etc. All stuff expected of you here. Start at "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. Disk cache should be set to "Normal" on a memory under configured system like this. Make sure other apps, especially bloated Web browsers like Chrome are not running. These are way under configured computers for all but the smallest sessions.

You should also be "hard removing" plugins for slightly better tests, actually move all the .aaxplugin files out of the plugins folder. Test with that, after trashing prefs, etc. Test starting with new empty sessions, test from a new admin account, test using built in output as the playback engine etc. See the troubleshooting guide. All done with ignore errors not checked so you will see errors.
I am tracking within pro tools I use an 1176 and auto-tune to track, my buffer size is 32 when tracking. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen I recently updated the driver for the interface. the memory pressure chart is shown in the yellow area while using pro tools. also, I won't get any error codes if I was to command-s the program would just freeze up and give me the spinning beach ball. All I know is that I wasn't crashing every 5 min on 2022.4 I am very sure that my problems are coming from 2022.6