Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-28-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Drumagog to midi or drumagog to BFD options?

Hi,

Been trying different drum replacement options

Been trying to use the midi out from drumagog to trigger BFD, but very little success! it just triggers all over the place. using the fixed latency version of Drumagog and with ADC on and off. decided to scrap this approach.

Is the drumagog platinum to BFD package any better than the above approach!?

Back to drumagog samples and TL drum rehab for now, but looking for better options.

Hoping that PT8 will have transient to midi/score to midi. or beat detective to have a convert to midi option.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Drumagog to midi or drumagog to BFD options?

Neither, Toontrack Superior 2 has by far the best drums on the planet so...

http://www.toontrack.com/drumtracker.asp

But, it's stand alone only...no plugin? that might be a problem.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Neither, Toontrack Superior 2 has by far the best drums on the planet so...

http://www.toontrack.com/drumtracker.asp

But, it's stand alone only...no plugin? that might be a problem.
I agree!!! The best library yet. Until Drumtracker comes out I've been using
Melodyne to convert audio to midi to drive Superior 2.0.

Here's the way I do the snr:

I'll duplicate the track and put Drumagog on the snr track. I'll load in any snr samp that is tight with no ring. The I automate the dymnamics so it only catches the snr hits at every velocity. I then bounce this snr only track to new track. I line it up with the original snr. Then I export that into Melodyne. In melodyne I make sure that there are no additional slices anywhere. Then just export the file as midi.

I then bring the midi file back into Pro Tools and line up any midi note that are off from the original snr. BAM..I'm now driving the Superior library . Works great.

Do the same method with the kick drum. Just hand gate the toms before you import them into Melodyne.

I have saved many mixes with this method.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post

Is the drumagog platinum to BFD package any better than the above approach!?
It IS better...but still pretty far from really good.
Drumagog locks much better with it's own internal samples...and no matter how you tweak and move, the BFD2 samples never lock properly.
Just too random to be really useful

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 10-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Steven Massy has a DTM (DrumsToMidi) plugin coming out. It's free. He designed TL Drum Rehab and kinda knows what he's doin'. He showed me the beta version. Looks like just the ticket.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Massey is the plug-in Messiah ...it ain't right until Massey gets his hans on it

If he cracks this one as well as the de-esser ...then

Old 10-31-2008, 02:37 AM

i find the best way is to do it by hand, use tab to transient, and paste in the midi notes - then you can use any sample set you want and it is always right - no miss triggers (unless you've pasted them in you self !!!)

whole song: kick, snare, and toms less than half an hour and you know its tight and right for ever

i just cant trust "quick" software solutions, i always end up messing around with them for about 20 mins or so and am never happy with the result so have to paste them in in the end

i just cant see another option for doing it "properly" but each to there own!

C
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_laruso View Post
i find the best way is to do it by hand, use tab to transient, and paste in the midi notes - then you can use any sample set you want and it is always right - no miss triggers (unless you've pasted them in you self !!!)

whole song: kick, snare, and toms less than half an hour and you know its tight and right for ever

i just cant trust "quick" software solutions, i always end up messing around with them for about 20 mins or so and am never happy with the result so have to paste them in in the end

i just cant see another option for doing it "properly" but each to there own!

C
This seems a bit restricted, unless you know exactly the snare drum that is going to work! if it doesn't you a bit stuffed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
Steven Massy has a DTM (DrumsToMidi) plugin coming out. It's free. He designed TL Drum Rehab and kinda knows what he's doin'. He showed me the beta version. Looks like just the ticket.
Great, can't wait to try it! the best i ever had was a V-drums TD-10 module!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneboy View Post
I agree!!! The best library yet. Until Drumtracker comes out I've been using
Melodyne to convert audio to midi to drive Superior 2.0.

Here's the way I do the snr:

I'll duplicate the track and put Drumagog on the snr track. I'll load in any snr samp that is tight with no ring. The I automate the dymnamics so it only catches the snr hits at every velocity. I then bounce this snr only track to new track. I line it up with the original snr. Then I export that into Melodyne. In melodyne I make sure that there are no additional slices anywhere. Then just export the file as midi.

I then bring the midi file back into Pro Tools and line up any midi note that are off from the original snr. BAM..I'm now driving the Superior library . Works great.

Do the same method with the kick drum. Just hand gate the toms before you import them into Melodyne.

I have saved many mixes with this method.
I have tried the melodyne route before with mixed success! but as you indicate you have to create a tight snare to start with, using drumagog or tl rehab to trigger a tight snare to then send to melodyne!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:09 AM

Are you using the latest BFD2

From the Drumagog site

Note: To use Drumagog with BFD2, please make sure you have the latest version of BFD2 (must be at least v2.0.4). Also, please remember to always insert Drumagog before inserting BFD in your project. For more information of how to use Drumagog with BFD, please see the BFD section of the updated user's guid

I know that the Platinum version can output midi so you can record a midi track from within Protools no need for any other apps
Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 AM

I'm doing all that...and it works, just not very accurate.
Not near the triggering of internal sounds in Drumagog...which are pretty accurate in most cases.

With BFD2 you even experience random sloppiness each time you run through the song...so not even a predictable trigger error.

Using the midi out on drumagog is even less accurate...and requires a cumbersome setup with some external midi pipe utility.