Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2024, 02:55 PM

Default Multiple Midi/Instrument tracks slaved to a single instance of a virtual drum

I once read an article by, I think, Production Expert wherein they described how to build virtual drums tacks spread across a track for each kit piece. Editing in "notes" view it allowed to quickly pull together a drum track. The neat thing was that it all ran off a single instance of a virtual plugin, rather than having to load the same program across each track as you have to do if using the "split note" function.

But, for the life of me I cannot remember how to accomplish this and after spending the day trying to search for an answer I am about ready to give up. Before doing that I wanted to reach out in this forum to see if anyone knows how to do this. thanks.

Bruce
Old 02-05-2024, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Multiple Midi/Instrument tracks slaved to a single instance of a virtual drum

There're two aspects to this type of workflow. Multi-output audio and multi-channel MIDI.

What plugin are you trying to use?

The main thing is that to setup either of these things, you need to enable it from within the plugin first. It's very similar across samplers surprisingly. So once you've enabled multi-output audio, you can set the input of various AUXs to the plugin inputs cascading per element in the sampler.

For the multi-channel MIDI on the plugin input, once enabled from within the plugin, if on an MIDI or instrument track you select the appropriate MIDI channel from the plugin instance as the output, you can control the plugin from a track that it isn't on. You can also use all instrument tracks and use them to trigger different samples per MIDI channel and on those same tracks set the audio input for the multi-output audio from the sample you are triggering.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4