Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-29-2021, 08:18 AM

Default Grabber in object mode selects all clips in track

Hi All

Having a bit of an issue with my Grabber since moving to PT2021. In all previous versions of PT I've used the Object Grabber to select multiple clips and , most importantly, to drag a box area over the clips I need to select. However, now when I select any clip all clips in the associated track also become selected. I have no groups active so I dont see why this behaviour is happening.
Has this happened to anyone else here, I've searched this quite bit and not come up with anything. Hopefully someone can help me out.
Thanks for your time
Old 07-29-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Grabber in object mode selects all clips in track

You're saying that all clips on the same track get selected? Are they crossfaded together? One thing that drives me nuts about the Object Grabber is the inability to select a single clip if it's crossfaded with another clip. But that's been that way for a while AFAIK.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes they are crossfaded. How strange, im sure i've been able to achieve this kind of region selecting in past versions (I dont have access to those versions anymore so can't check). However, if you say its the crossfades that is binding them, then thank you for clearing it up for me. Such a shame, drag and grab is really the way i like to do things (example being today, having to insert a small extra clip into a long sequence of crossfaded regions. I ended up using shift+alt+return to select all to the right but thats still restricted to selecting ALL tracks to the right).
Thanks for the quick reply and the insight Scotty.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:58 AM

The regular grabber tool (not object grabber) works fine with selecting individual clips, even if they are crossfaded. It's weird that the object grabber can't do this. I wonder if they ran into a weird coding issue and just didn't want to throw the resources into fixing it?
Old 07-30-2021, 10:02 AM

Totally, most things can be done with that tool. Apart from area dragging, like a marquee tool that selects objects (not timeline based selecting). That function I really like to use, but seems not allowed with this silly crossfade binding. Guess the answer is to delete crossfades first before grabbing aye. Yes I do wonder why this is so.
Thanks again for your help.