Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Default Using Bias Amp with PT 12.6

I have tried googling this all over the place and it must be so simple that no one has made a video or a how to document.

Therefore as a home studio novice, and new to PT. How do I access the Bias Amp Plugin within ProTools. I have installed both the app, and the plugin on my mac.

Can i use it to record and monitor at the same time, or must I record a dry track and then add the effect. Positive Grid had many "How to find" documents for a bunch of other DAWs, but not ProTools.

Someone please help the newb!
ProTools 12.6
Avid Eleven Rack
Old 10-12-2016, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Using Bias Amp with PT 12.6

Plugins are inserts on tracks.

You stick the plugin insert on a mono audio track. The input to that track is the dry guitar, the output signal from that track to the output bus or other bus is the wet processed signal.

Make sure you are using an audio not an instrument track. Make sure you are receiving the (very low level) guitar signal input to that track (with no plugin in the track). You can record the dry signal and a wet signal, all up to you. What is recorded is pre (edit: doh) plugin. You can just record dry and play through the plugin until you want to commit it. What you monitor back through Pro Tools software is up to you to set up. With normal software monitoring (without low-latency monitoring) you would hear the processed signal through the plugibs. But you have to understand yourself how any individual session signal flow is set up.

You should be working with a DI/instrument input, with gain set appropriately in your interface, and software monitoring through Pro Tools (not hardware monitoring in the interface) to hear the wet guitar when tracking.

This is basic basic stuff. You need to start with learning about plugins and signal flow in Pro Tools. Video tutorials on YouTube are handy, and ultimately you need to read some of the Pro Tools Reference Guide (PDF is installed with Pro Tools), or better start with the Pro Tools 101 book.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-12-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Using Bias Amp with PT 12.6

Check out some of these Tutorial Videos which may help get you going. And like Darryl said; be sure to read through the manual.

System Details