How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Multiple HD I/O question

Hello all
I have a C24, paired with an HD I/O and HDX PCI Card, running Protools 11.
This is my original setup.
I like to purchase an additional HD I/O (all analog) in order to ADD CHANNELS coming in/out capabilities.
Question might be dumb, but I've been told there is not such thing as a dumb question...
Will my SECOND HD IO interface be recognized by protools 11 and allow me to use the extra ins/outs?
That's it..
Thanks for the help!!!
Cheers
David
Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Multiple HD I/O question

It should just show up in Hardware(under the Setup menu). Don't forget to connect Loop Sync according to the manual. A single HDX(or HDN) card should handle up to 4 interfaces, for a total of 64 IO. I run an HD IO and a 192 on my HDN setup and have 32 working IO

BTW, assuming you currently feed the 16 preamps of the C24 to your first HD IO, you will need more preamps for the second(or any additional) IO's that you connect.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
It should just show up in Hardware(under the Setup menu). Don't forget to connect Loop Sync according to the manual. A single HDX(or HDN) card should handle up to 4 interfaces, for a total of 64 IO. I run an HD IO and a 192 on my HDN setup and have 32 working IO

BTW, assuming you currently feed the 16 preamps of the C24 to your first HD IO, you will need more preamps for the second(or any additional) IO's that you connect.
THANK YOU soooo much! for your reply. I truly appreciate your input.
And yes, I'm aware I need pre-amps in front of the second interface. I was thinking to use the second interface for LINE IN type of stuff (where no pres are needed) or (on some channels) utilize my Avalon's Pre-Amp for vocals, etc.. - and the the first 16 I can use the C24 built-in pre's for tracking drums, guitars, etc.

Again, THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I appreciate it
sincerely,
David
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM

Does it make a difference whether I connect the second interface in a "daisy chain fashion" instead of connecting it directly to my HDX card? What's the difference? I know it can be done either way.. but, are there advantages or disadvantages in either approach??
Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidskick View Post
Does it make a difference whether I connect the second interface in a "daisy chain fashion" instead of connecting it directly to my HDX card? What's the difference? I know it can be done either way.. but, are there advantages or disadvantages in either approach??
There is no difference. Only difference I can think of is the cabling. If you daisy-chain two boxes, you only need one longer cable and it seems to be the easier way to do it. And if you don't (daisy-chain), you will need to have two long cables. OTOH, if one of the long cables should ever break, you would already have your backup right there.

Whichever you choose, you will need to loop sync the boxes just the same way.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There is no difference. Only difference I can think of is the cabling. If you daisy-chain two boxes, you only need one longer cable and it seems to be the easier way to do it. And if you don't (daisy-chain), you will need to have two long cables. OTOH, if one of the long cables should ever break, you would already have your backup right there.

Whichever you choose, you will need to loop sync the boxes just the same way.
Thank you JFreak!