Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 07:17 AM

Default Removing plugins from DAE folder revisited, and also...

Guitar Easley had a thread about one of these plugin questions, but I can't find it.

1. Would it be feasible to simply move unused plugins out of the DAE/plugins folder? I mean, would it actually save any CPU anyway?... or is CPU only used while plugins are active.

2. Has anyone figured out a latency 'formula' for Amplitube, either used directly on a track or on an Aux.?

thanks, Roy
Old 06-09-2003, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Removing plugins from DAE folder revisited, and also...

Howdy Roy,

Good question about CPU. I look forward to hearing more replies about that.

I don't think my links address that CPU question but they might offer a few different methods of temporarily disable the plugins:

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=017500
&
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=017504

See ya,

GuitarEasley
Old 06-09-2003, 08:08 AM

I was hoping you'de pop in with those links... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] thank you, sir...
Old 06-09-2003, 08:20 AM

I don't see any reason that unused plugins should consume any CPU power - but they DO consume memory, since they all seem to be loaded when you start PTLE, and they increase the time it takes for PTLE to start.

We should all have 512M-1G, so I've decided to ignore it. RAM is very cheap.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:50 PM

Hmmm, I tried this today, but some plugins that should be there are missing in the PT session. In the first thread listed above (by Guitar Easley),
'Vocalvoodoo wrote':
"...Just tried what you suggested trying. That works fine. Just remove the plugin files from the Digidesign DAE plugins folder that you don't want to use. To bypass loading Waves plugins, remove the waveshell-DAE files from that same folder.

If you only want to load certain Waves plugins, you have to remove the unwanted Waves plugins from the Waves plugin folder."
_______

SO, I tried it, and here's what I did:

1.From Digi/DAE/Plugins, I removed all unwanted plugins files, by moving them to another folder, another drive.
I also removed the Wave 'Shell' files, as suggested by Vocalvoodoo.

2.Then I removed the actual unwanted Waves plugins, which were in another Waves folder, to another folder, another drive.

3.I rebooted, and opened PT. It opened far faster, but some of the plugins I'de left in the Waves folder, were missing.(like the MetaFlanger, for instance).

Now, my actual Waves plugin folder is in Program Files/Waves, not in DAE/plugins, but I think that's OK. It's finding some of the plugins there, so hmmm...

Worst case scenario for this test, is to have to reinstall the plugs... but, it sure is nice how fast PT loads.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:28 AM

You are absolutely correct Roy. I thought I got that to work before with the Waves plugs. I tried removing the waves plugs a minute ago that I didn't want to load from the waves folder and tried renaming the plugs I didn't want. (2 separate tests). With both tests, NO waves plugs loaded. It seems that if anything in the waves plugin folder is altered, nothing will load.

Although this "does" work with the Digi stock plug ins. Tried removing the ones I never use such as "Invert" and it did not show up as Audiosuite or RTAS. But all the others did.

Quote:
Now, my actual Waves plugin folder is in Program Files/Waves, not in DAE/plugins, but I think that's OK. It's finding some of the plugins there, so hmmm...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My waves plugs have always been in it's own directory under program files. That's where it install by default i believe. It seems that the "waveshell" files in the DAE folder direct PT to the Waves Plugins folder to load whatever Waves plugs you have installed.

Sorry to post incorrect info about the Waves plug ins.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:20 AM

Sort of off topic but...I upgraded my computer last weekend and am having problems with my Waves Native Power Pack plugins. I reauthorized them through Waves and installed the version 3.6 plugs that I downloaded from Waves website. When I originally purchased the plugs they were only 3.2 but I had upgraded to 3.5 with 5.1.1 running Windows 98 before the upgrade with no problems. Anyway after installing and reauthorizing my drop down menu in Pro Tools only shows the L1 and Desser plugins and none of the other ones are there. I tried to uninstall Waves but it won't uninstall the plugins. It goes through the uninstall process in Win XP but the Waves files remain intact. Has anyone had this problem? I'm confused. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I have emailed Waves and they haven't gotten back to me yet but I thought I'd post it here as well to see if anyone can help me.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 04:43 AM

Gracepoint. I suggest you send an email to [email protected] . They have helped me with a similar problem, and fast too...

Bastiaan
Old 06-10-2003, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vocalvoodoo:
You are absolutely correct Roy. I thought I got that to work before with the Waves plugs. I tried removing the waves plugs a minute ago that I didn't want to load from the waves folder and tried renaming the plugs I didn't want. (2 separate tests). With both tests, NO waves plugs loaded. It seems that if anything in the waves plugin folder is altered, nothing will load.

Although this "does" work with the Digi stock plug ins. Tried removing the ones I never use such as "Invert" and it did not show up as Audiosuite or RTAS. But all the others did.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now, my actual Waves plugin folder is in Program Files/Waves, not in DAE/plugins, but I think that's OK. It's finding some of the plugins there, so hmmm...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My waves plugs have always been in it's own directory under program files. That's where it install by default i believe. It seems that the "waveshell" files in the DAE folder direct PT to the Waves Plugins folder to load whatever Waves plugs you have installed.

Sorry to post incorrect info about the Waves plug ins.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi vocalvoodoo,
Well, at least we know all plugins except for the WaveShell plugs can be removed. I simply moved all the files back to where I got em, and it's back to normal...didn't have to reinstall, so that's good.
We don't know unless we try these things...thanks for your help... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
~Roy
Old 06-10-2003, 01:20 PM

Oops, I may have spoken too soon about reinstalling, because a few of the plugins that were assigned to tracks are showing as 'inactive'. Usually, I can go into the list and reassign it, and all is fine. But, when I do that here, I'm getting a '7400 error', which is a new one on me...... I've gone in and out of this same session twice...same thing, so I guess I'll have to reinstall to get things back to normal.

Just FYInformation....... -Roy