Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 04:53 AM

Default Win 10 playback device does not support sample rate

When trying to open a session created on another system, I get an error saying playback device doesn't support a 44.1 sample rate. The "answer" I find in the knowledge base is to either change to internal clock or reset the clock's sample rate. As is the case with a lot of things since MS did a forced "update" from Win 7 to Win 10 I have no idea how to do either one of those.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Win 10 playback device does not support sample rate

Pro Tools has a big issue with 3rd party interfaces and sample rates changes. There are lots of threads about the subject and Focusrite USB interfaces are particularly problematic. Try posting your system specs, do the optimizations recommended by Avid and Focusrite, go to Windows sound properties and remove your 2i2 as a system playback and recording device, try creating a new session at 44.1k...
Can't help much more, good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-29-2016, 06:33 AM

Those adjustments are exactly the same as win 7! Right click on the little speaker icon on the lower right.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Those adjustments are exactly the same as win 7! Right click on the little speaker icon on the lower right.
Actually, cjanging the cpmputer's playback device doesn't work. Turns out I needed n ASIO driver, bue still had problems, then I had to start Pro Tools without the interface plugged in, then plug it in, then change by creating a new session and inporting tracks from the one I'd wanted to work on, using 44.1.

Or something like that. It's complicated enough that I have to experiment every time to get everything done in the right order to make it work and it may be weeks before I have it actually memorized correctyly. Doesn't help any that I'm working on things on both a Nac and a Win system, using flash drives to move sessions between different computers.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:27 PM

What interface are you using? Try installing its own driver instead of ASIO for ALL. And by all means, undesignate that interface as your default Windows playback device.

Last edited by sw rec; 12-15-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
What interface are you using? Try installing its own driver instead of ASIO for ALL. And by all means, undesignate that interface as your default Windows playback device.
The Focusrite Scarlett driver is part of the problem. I had to install the ASIO to be able to do anything. If I'm remembering correctly, I have to use the ASIO driver when I start a session on my Win system, then plug in the interface and use the Focusrite driver when working on a session that originated on the MAC at the university.

To work on a session created on the MAC at the university I had to create a new session, then pull the tracks from the thumb drive into that new session, changing everything to 44.1. And just at which point in the whole process of getting Pro Tools up and running, creating a new session, and importing and converting the tracks from the thumb drive was an issue. It was a couple weeks ago, I haven't had to move anything between my Win 10 and the university's MAC since, so I forget just when I had to plug the interface into the computer. Right now I'm just glad I have a couple of weeks break and don't have to do anything. The next time that I have to move a session betweeen the systems I'll have to experiment. This last time I was under a deadline, and didn't even think about writing down the series of steps that finally worked. Next time I figure it out, I'll write it down.