Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-16-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Instrument track inactive after removing plug in OTHER than instrument

***See screen shots for specs.

After removing any plug in OTHER than the instrument, the track becomes inactive.

Create a new instrument track, instantiate any instrument, add any plug in (EQ, COMP, etc). Then, remove the EQ, COMP, etc and the instrument track goes inactive. It can be reactivated only by duplicating the track.

Thx.

Paul

ps - i saw a thread for this somewhere, but couldn't find it. thus, i am posting. thx and apologies if this is a "dead horse" and AVID is on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 10.44.51 AM.jpg (46.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 10.44.57 AM.jpg (36.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-16-2015, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Instrument track inactive after removing plug in OTHER than instrument

check your Midi input for that track .. open up the instrument view in mix or edit window and see if the input is connected correctly .. cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Instrument track inactive after removing plug in OTHER than instrument

Upgraded to PT12 last night, & updated to 12.1 this morning, have same issue now! ... Did anyone manage to resolve?? ... Thanks
Old 07-19-2015, 11:25 PM

Does moving instrument plugin to another slot re-activate the MIDI track on the edit window? I know at least Kontakt5 somehow deactivates its stuff and wakes up if moved to another slot. Don't know why.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 PM

... Hi, if you take plugin off of instrument track e.g. disable it or move it to another track, then the track its been moved from or disabled from becomes inactive. The track you move it to is fine but if you move it or remove it then that track also becomes inactive. Haven't come across anything that will reactivate the now inactive track. I have never encountered this or anything like this before in any pre versions PT6-11. Basically makes my Pro Tools unusable as I create from VI's & use a lot of plugs...
Old 07-20-2015, 12:16 AM

Yes, but if you move the VI plugin itself to another slot, does it make it active again? I know that at least Kontakt5 has something weird going on; the midi stuff in the edit window becomes grey, but moving it somewhere else activates it again. Might be something to do with their 15min demo period not working properly, dunno, but that is the only plugin I've ever had trouble with.

Please try what I suggested and confirm that it is Kontakt5 that you have problems with.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:38 AM

Hey :) Thanks for your responses, appreciate it! ... Im not actually using Kontact at all. Was on a session with AIR Instruments, but I did just come across what you said, e.g. if I move the instrument plug e.g. Xpand! off of track & onto another the track becomes inactive but Yes when I move it back the track does reactivate!! However the track I've moved it back from is now inactive!!...

I think (hope) I may have solution here as when I installed Pro Tools 12.0 & 12.1 I didn't actually downloaded the AIR Effects Bundle 12.0 & AIR Instruments Bundle 12.0 & AIR Xpand! II 12.0 installers was just running with the ones I had installed with PT11.3.1 so maybe the problem is there, didn't think about it at the time .. Will install now & get back .. Thanks again ...
Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 AM

Good to hear this was at least partly helpful.

Please continue sharing your experiences in this thread, especially whether updating AIR plugins to v12 helps or not. And if you come up with certain chain of steps that you think someone else could repro, then maybe some of the beta testers could log a bug to the internal database.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 AM

Well that made zero difference! Ha! ... Am reinstalling Yosemite 10.3 on a partition & will install PT12.0 (Not 12.1 as I think this may be where issue is). If 12.0 works fine moving plugs around etc Ill then upgrade it to 12.1 & see what happens from there...
Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 AM

Yes its an annoying bug but the solution is simple guys as said in the 2nd post. Enable Edit Window Views->Instrument so that you can see the midi assignment on the instrument track. When you remove a plugin after a VI it loses the midi assignment. All you need to do is in the "Instrument" section go in and manually reassign the midii output to the right VI. It takes 2 seconds.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/