Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Default OT Bucket

It's all for the pampered post house group........

I hope the post group can support Avid since they're still losing money
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
You better hope Avid is making smart moves and post houses will be purchasing many units or your stock will go down...
They've not made many smart moves over the past couple years if their stock is any indication (which, as many people would say, it is). They were at $22 just 2 & 1/2 years ago - now they're at $5.40 and trending downward. Even the release of PT11 essentially gave them no lasting boost. I'd be highly surprised if these consoles kick that trend back upward. I'm afraid they'd need to make much deeper changes before faith is restored.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:07 PM

It's actually not always the case. Apples stock actually went down quite a bit in june, interestingly that's when they announced the new mac pro. It picked back up with the new announcement for the IOS in july. So some product will have a bigger impact on market share than others. I'm pretty sure that if we could actually divide the shares per product base, the Digital audio workstation division of Apple, and Yamaha would probably not be high either, including controllers (oh wait Apple doesn't make controllers for logic). What keeps their stock up is their other product lines, Iphone for Apple and the wide range of products for Yamaha, which includes 4 by 4, golf carts etc. See Yamaha only started to get into the daw business in 2005 when they bought steinberg from Pinnacle systems. So comparing other traded companies that relies on other segment of their product lines to keep their stock up, to a company that is dedicated to audio and video.. is not going to work well.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Apple introduced the MacPro is coming in the fall without introduction of other key products but when the MacPro is released Avid will get a small bump because Avid w/o Apple would be dead. Also, to compare Apple against the little lost company Avid is truly humorous.

Still playing with your Windows 8.......Lol
Old 09-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Apple introduced the MacPro is coming in the fall without introduction of other key products but when the MacPro is released Avid will get a small bump because Avid w/o Apple would be dead. Also, to compare Apple against the little lost company Avid is truly humorous.

Still playing with your Windows 8.......Lol
Nah I'm on windows 7

I'm just referencing the fact that if you could split the shares per product each company has, even Apple and Yamaha stocks for the DAWs and DAWS controllers market would be low, because it's not a highly valued stock in the first place. So always referencing Avid's stock price as being a bad thing, is not really doing anything at all, since Avid market is in a market segment that stocks are lows in the first place. Fact is, I don't even know of any other company that is solely for Video and Audio that is publicaly traded.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 PM

If you want a good laugh, go take a look at who Nasdaq deems competitors to Avid... It really shows that even Nasdaq doesn't really have a clue at what this segment is about.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/avid/competitors

AAON inc; engaged in the manufacture and sale of air-conditioning and heating equipment

ABAX;manufactures, markets and sells portable blood analysis systems for use in the human or veterinary patient-care setting to provide clinicians with rapid blood constituent measurements.

ACME;a leading worldwide supplier of innovative cutting, measuring and first aid products to the school, home, office, hardware, sporting goods and industrial markets.

AIRGAS; one of the nation’s leading suppliers of industrial, medical and specialty gases, and hardgoods, such as welding equipment and related products.

And the lists goes on.... to

Zoltek companies; is an applied technology and advanced materials company. Our mission is to lead the commercialization of carbon fiber through our development of a price-competitive, high-performance reinforcement for composites used in a broad range of commercial products which we sell under the Panex® trade name.

That's what Avid is segmented with....

So my point is.. Stock prices don't tell the whole story and are far from being a definite source of the well being of a company.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Wall Street has never had a clue about entertainment. What speaks volumes is comparing who sits on Avid's board with their competition.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
If you want a good laugh, go take a look at who Nasdaq deems competitors to Avid...
So my point is.. Stock prices don't tell the whole story and are far from being a definite source of the well being of a company.
Nasdaq's competition is largely irrelevant here. Avid's history is what tells the story of Avid and that's what I pointed out. They're in trouble (the news is well-known by traders) and it's very easy to identify by simply analyzing their history and activity in the board room. The value and trend of their shares says much more than you're suggesting. You can expect interesting things in the next couple of years. To say that I'm cautious about my investments into this company would be an understatement.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Wall Street has never had a clue about entertainment. What speaks volumes is comparing who sits on Avid's board with their competition.
Seats in the boardroom hardly even get warm. "Members" love to jump around. It means very little unfortunately.