Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Default Something you might want to think about before you upgrade.

People who switch their systems to be dependent on AAX plugins are going to be at the "Mercy" of plugin developers (such as Waves) in the near future.

Think about that for a moment....

You pay to upgrade your Pro Tools system and now you wait to see how much the plugin companies "want" to charge you. They know you can't go backwards at this point. So, let's for fun say it's $10,000 to upgrade to AAX (I know it's a silly figure, but hang with me). Now, you have to make the decision to pay $10,000 more to use the plugins you already bought or go WITHOUT plugins (you could just buy new ones too).

I know $10,000 for plugins is a ridiculous figure, who would pay that much for software? Oh, come to think of it, I did. Mercury TDM bundle and SSL.

Wouldn't a SMART person WAIT to see what the cost to switch their plugins to AAX will be before committing to the format?

Please feel free to post any thoughts about why it might make sense to wait before upgrading?

PEACE
Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Something you might want to think about before you upgrade.

Totally correct, I was thinking the same thing today.

Just one of many unanswered questions,

How many PCIe slots will the new Macs have?
What about Thunderbolt?
Will 3rd party companies reverse engineer their interfaces, and how quickly?
How much difference in price will there be between AAX DSP and AAX Native?
Will all the plugins we use now and rely on even be ported to AAX?
Are all future software upgrades going to cost $1000, sounds crazy but once a precedent is set?

I am sticking where I am for at least another 12 months until these questions are answered.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:18 PM

I know it's expensive but stop whining... we all want the new system and sooner or later, if you make money with it you will buy it no matter what, if people are buying it it's because they can afford it and they want the best. It's called progress and it has a price... if Avid and plugins developers makes money I do too, plus way more fun and speed... if you don't want it just keep what you have and make good music...
Old 10-24-2011, 03:54 PM

I think a lot of current HD Hardware owners need to realize HOW MUCH POWER a brand new Mac along with their current HD System provides. Its ridiculously lot.

I'd say, if you can't get it done on an HD|3 churning on a fairly new Mac, chances are that the system aint at fault ;-)

Certainly there houses that really need an HDx but not the majority!!!

Would I personally like the HDx; yes.
Do I really need it; no
Do I believe that the native computers are way more powerful in a years time when PT11 arrives; yes
Am going to purchase it; not unless I am going to mix Avatar 2 !

Do I need features like, "Save Channel Strip" (all 10 slots) of an audio track more than HDx; OH YEAH
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM

I'm going for it because I've had my accel cards and 192 since they came out and frankly they've had some strange behavior for the last year. Nothing too serious.

Hoping I won't regret the 6k move. As for plugs, everything I use will be updated and if that new channel strip is as great as some are saying, I may not need to pay for any upgraded plugs.

Just my two cents.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I'm going for it because I've had my accel cards and 192 since they came out and frankly they've had some strange behavior for the last year. Nothing too serious.

Hoping I won't regret the 6k move. As for plugs, everything I use will be updated and if that new channel strip is as great as some are saying, I may not need to pay for any upgraded plugs.

Just my two cents.
Hi Ron,

that Channel Strip IS indeed a VERY VERY good plug-in.
Taste coes in play of course but I love it !
Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 AM

Here is another really big what if. Apple have not released specs on their new Mac Pros which are obviously needed to run HDX in the future.No other companies are privy to what Apple have coming so I dont think Avid have any inside track.

What if HDX on the new gen Mac Pros does not work!!!! Apple has blind-sided Avid before with PCIX PCIe.

There are rumours out there that Apple may ditch PCI slots altogether.

OK sensationalist rumours probably, but stranger things have happened. Personally I will do the upgrade as late as poss hoping new Macpros have arrived by then, probably in 6-9 months.

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 10-25-2011, 03:33 AM

So what, put it in a Magma chassis.

This is exactly why Avid didn't a dedicated TB box. It would have been stupid. A card still makes the most sense.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:21 AM

A TB box would have been great. Compatible with ANY Mac and not just the Mac Pro that hasn't been updated for way too long.

We now must, once again, put our faith in Magma and Avid's decisions to keep them compatible.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
A TB box would have been great. Compatible with ANY Mac and not just the Mac Pro that hasn't been updated for way too long.

We now must, once again, put our faith in Magma and Avid's decisions to keep them compatible.
Thunderbolt=new and only available on a fraction of computers.

PCIe=universal format on almost every tower on earth.

Combined with the fact that PCIe can be put in a TB chassis and run on Macbooks etc....

It's a no brainer. You make a card. WAY more flexible than a dedicated TB box.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.