Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Exclamation If YOUR groove VANISHES after Recording an OD... It AINT your ears... ADC ATE IT.....

PT HD 9 Latest Version
Rosetta 800 Interface

Im in the middle of a mix and wanted to record a new bass line for the song.

The "cmp" Delay indicator on the bass track is 420 Samples.

I have got the bass plugged directly into the mixing board going into PT. While I do the recording it sounds GREAT and the groove is definitely there. Then after the recording I exit record mode and play back.

GROOVE is GONE...

To begin with I thought that I was fooling myself while playing, so I did the following...

I recorded the master bus WHILE playing the bass live.

I played until I KNEW the groove was definitely there...

Then I played back the two track recording and THAT sounded exactly as I had heard it while recording it.

Now I went back and listened to the mix... YES.... The bass was early...
the GROOVE was GONE...

The bass is being advanced by 700 samples AFTER the record pass.

This is unacceptable especially since I have those options unchecked in the I/O Settings. And I dont think the rosettas are supporting this...

This is same BUG That midi has... You listen back while playing the midi live and everything is in the pocket but as soon as you enter playback mode the groove is off..

I am seriously contemplating using another DAW....

I have had rappers here and I could swear that while doing the recording the boy was on fire and in the pocket while listening back WHILE recording but as soon as I was in Playback mode the groove was gone.

Today I fired up Presonus' DAW set up an identical mix and tried recording the bass there. After the recording was done conducted under the same circumstance as above in PT the groove was INTACT when playing back.

Goes without SAYING that this problem is UNACCEPTABLE and should be fixed immediately.

AVID..... Your ADC is the root of ALL EVIL going on in Protools. You REALLY should fix it... And you REALLY should start taking ADC Complaints VERY seriously...... Because you DO have a problem
Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Default Re: If YOUR groove VANISHES after Recording an OD... It AINT your ears... ADC ATE IT.

I run all sessions with NO ADC to avoid this problem. Very slowly making the transition over to Logic for composing as the PT issues seemingly will never be resolved.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Re: If YOUR groove VANISHES after Recording an OD... It AINT your ears... ADC ATE IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I run all sessions with NO ADC to avoid this problem. Very slowly making the transition over to Logic for composing as the PT issues seemingly will never be resolved.
Ron,

thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated. I thought I was going nuts.

Sadly, I am NOT...

Protools 9, aside from offering open platform for using 3rd pty Interfaces, brings me absolutely NO improvements. NONE>...

No ease in administrating Plug-Ins, Presets. etc etc etc...

you STILL have a workspace SO OUTDATED that it makes Walther Concrite look like a adolescent....

My fears are growing steadily each day... Fear of the Original Idea of Protools being long gone, and away from its original creators. It seems as if AVID has hired new engineers who cant decode the original protools code... Protools keeps getting worse. New Looks yes and open platform but inside it is a dinosaur. Resting only on the laurels of the original creators.

I hope the future is getting better... might I add the NEAR future... I aint sticking with this software and platform for another year let alone a decade.

I want to compose music without my DAW getting the way....

IS THAT REALLY TOO MUCH TO ASK !!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I aint sticking with this software and platform for another year let alone a decade.

I want to compose music without my DAW getting the way....

IS THAT REALLY TOO MUCH TO ASK !!!!
I'm with you, thet don't seem able to fix the problems.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
I'm with you, thet don't seem able to fix the problems.
I don't think they have the resources any longer. Look at how spread out and slowly the PT9 updates have come. MUCH slower than in the past. Taking this into consideration, It's easy to now assume that the major fixes regarding, ADC and especially midi and RTAS could take another 5-7 years to address. Regardless, PT is what all mix stages use and I'll continue to use for tracking but for composing, it's sadly time to move over to another program.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I don't think they have the resources any longer. Look at how spread out and slowly the PT9 updates have come. MUCH slower than in the past. Taking this into consideration, It's easy to now assume that the major fixes regarding, ADC and especially midi and RTAS could take another 5-7 years to address. Regardless, PT is what all mix stages use and I'll continue to use for tracking but for composing, it's sadly time to move over to another program.
A few years ago AVID made a public "apology" to their video users. Something about NOT having listened to their customers in the past. I wonder how long it will take before they need to repeat that STEP with Protools....

Their media composer is still a dino compared to what Premiere Pro and After Effects are offering...

It will take longer for a giant to stumble but when he does his fall is devastating..... AVID is a giant and supporting its weight on a fractured cain.. Still keeping it from tumbling but not forever, at least not without a fix...

Quote:
PT is what all mix stages use
For mixing only PT is great... And for recording a whole band....

but Imagine having a mix going with many plugs and a long system delay and calling your foley artists. Having them do about a 1000 dubs and then having to try manually nudge things about on the timeline...

ADC has been a problem since I have been using ProTools.... And I find it HAAAAAARD to understand why they keep fighting complaints and waving off the FACTS that ADC is a SICK child. Instead of taking a WEEK in the lab narrowing down the issues... They keep turning the blind eye to street.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Sadly, Logic will not be what you are looking for.
Coming from Logic I can just say that Pro Tools ( TDM ) is WAAAAY more professional than native Logic.
For example after loading a project in Logic you have to "play through" the song a couple of times to avoid sudden halts in playback. The initial run will stop at the first chorus , even though there is not much activity going on. It seems that Logic has to "learn" how to spread the load of available cores first before you can have the whole song playing without overloads...

You have to use a separate monitor mix application to set up zero latency cue mixes.

Extremely many bugs. Way more than Pro Tools.
For example. If you have the Time machine window open and change screenset, Logic will crash.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Sorry for stepping in and honking my horn in your thread 25g, but half the problem of ADC is the complexity of having a 100% active compensation method. If they'd evolve to a half active / half passive method, it certainly would keep my monkey bone from wiggling as much as it does out of distrust of complexity. The fact that the bureaucracy can't keep up is no surprise. At this point, they need to work on simplifying Pro Tools to make it better.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 AM

LOL Logic.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

I have been using Ableton lately as my scratch pad and am liking it more and more. It handles VI like a charm. Was gonna do the whole VE Pro thing but went the Ableton route

As far as you grove just toggle you your ADC off and lay down you new bass line or remove anything on the master fader. When you have stuff on the Master and ADC on that is where it really gets complex