Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 AM

Default Pcm native reverb plug-in bundle demo!!

http://www.soundtech.co.uk/lexicon/p...-bundle/launch
Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Pcm native reverb plug-in bundle demo!!

Has anyone else tried the Lexicon Native Reverb? I had a go and firstly it spat out digital sounding clicks and pops about every 10 seconds. Swapped it out for ReVibe. Then I tried again on another session and after trying a few medium/long settings they all seemed to have nasty metallic sounding tails, nothing like a 480. Used TL Space+Acousticas instead!
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzolagonda View Post
Has anyone else tried the Lexicon Native Reverb?
Yes. Does not come close to my Lexicon 300 HW or the lexicon 224 & 480 IRs that I got.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Yes. Does not come close to my Lexicon 300 HW or the lexicon 224 & 480 IRs that I got.
Well, I didn't try it yet but, from my understanding the plugin has the exactly same algos from the PCM96!!! I also have all Acousticas library but... it's a convolution x the real thing. Are you shure the IR's better then the original?

But I agree that your Lex 300 hardware is better then anything else!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Well, I didn't try it yet but, from my understanding the plugin has the exactly same algos from the PCM96!!! I also have all Acousticas library but... it's a convolution x the real thing. Are you shure the IR's better then the original?

But I agree that your Lex 300 hardware is better then anything else!
I dont know what people have against convolution reverbs. I've got the 300 iRs and the hardware. Sure, the hardware gives me more control but I have to print the tracks all the time. Sound wise the irs are just as good as the hardware but you have less control over the parameters. Still 98% of the time I grab the IRs. So much easier. Maybe if I did not have the hardware to compare the irs against I would not feel safe about using them. But I do have the hardware and I do know how powerful the irs are. But IRs are like microphones. There are a lot which sounds like crap. So you've gotta get the good ones to get that sound.

If I was put on the spot where I had to chose between convolution reverb or an outboard reverb. I'd pick the convolution reverb. One minute it's a Lexicon 480 the next an emt then a lexicon 224 and then my girlfriend's living room. cant beat that.

Quote:
from my understanding the plugin has the exactly same algos from the PCM96
Well that's the whole problem. The 96 is getting killed by its older siblings.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Hey 25,

Don't get me wrong here. I do not have ANY problems with convolution. As I said, I do own Acousticas bundle and use it all the time. Love it. But as you said, the hardware gives us more control. So if this plugin sound as good as the hardware (PCM96), and gives me all the control ITB, then it should be a nice addiction to my reverb collections! I already own VSS3, Eventide, TL Space with Acousticas, Revibe (don't like it too much)...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Hey 25,

Don't get me wrong here. I do not have ANY problems with convolution. As I said, I do own Acousticas bundle and use it all the time. Love it. But as you said, the hardware gives us more control. So if this plugin sound as good as the hardware (PCM96), and gives me all the control ITB, then it should be a nice addiction to my reverb collections! I already own VSS3, Eventide, TL Space with Acousticas, Revibe (don't like it too much)...
These are hard times for reverb developers. All the good algorithmic stuff is sampled as impulse responses already and the real rooms as well.
I tried the PCM Native bundle and it works but I don't need it. It's expensive and I don't think it gives me something that's missing in my impulse response library. I don't like to tweak reverb presets in depth. Generally they work or not. There are just a few parameters you usually like to change.
All those hardware developers are very late when it comes to Plug-Ins. Some might guess too late

Mark
Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM

I'm not here to argue with anyone. But, I'm incredulous that folks can't hear the difference between the Lex Native and any convolution reverb. There is NO comparison. It may be expensive, but ultimately that's in the mind/ear of the buyer. And it IS REALLY good...

@gonzolagonda,

You must have had some problems with the install or something. Works perfectly for me. No metallic ringing or pops/clicks. Having a hard time making it sound bad, actually. BLOWS TL Space out of the water, and I've got the Acousticas, Lexicon and Bricasti impulses...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
I'm not here to argue with anyone. But, I'm incredulous that folks can't hear the difference between the Lex Native and any convolution reverb.
did not know the lex native had been sampled for convolution purposes. So I cannot compare. I can however compare the convolution version of the lexicon 300 with the hardware as I own both. The diff. is so minimal that it wont matter in the mix. And the footprint of an ir is so much smaller than that of my outboard.... If you know what I'm saying.

dont really care about the new lexicons. I stopped believing in lexicon after buying the 960(sold it years ago after paying $20,000 for new). In comparison to the 480 is sucks .... and that big time. The 96 IMO is even worse. So obviously I'd never buy the 96 native version.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
dont really care about the new lexicons. I stopped believing in lexicon after buying the 960(sold it years ago after paying $20,000 for new). In comparison to the 480 is sucks .... and that big time.
I was disappointed by the 960 as well. The hardware makes noise and the whole thing seemed economized to a minimum IMHO.
Can't say that about the PCM Native Bundle but there's no gap to close in my reverb library anymore. They are late.
And the price is outstanding compared to all reverb plug-ins I know.
@RaySoul: I recorded some impulse responses on my own, e.g. from a Quantec QRS and compared them with the original. I didn't hear a difference. If IRs of hardware units are made seriously they are pin sharp photos of the original.
Convolution reverbs don't have a general sound problem. They are not as flexible as algorithmic reverbs.

Mark