Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Thinkin of callin it quits

Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong area as this is my first time.
I have had nothing but disappointing performance with PT LE on Mac and PC alike. Come on man, 6086 errors with not a single track created!!!! This is on a computer that gets 87 tracks from Nuendo 3!!!
Just today I was curious to see if my cpu or external firewire drive was really maxing out. Nope but the 6086, 87, and the usual lot of errors were there. Thanks Pro Tools.
Maybe someone could point me in the right direction because I have scoured the DUC and every other reference for system setup and have to my knowledge done them all.

The reason I didnt post my computers hardware is because I face these buffer problems on Macs and PCs running any version of PT LE with interfaces ranging from the lowly mbox to the digi 003.
Thank you for your time
Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Thinkin of callin it quits

I have used macs and pc's to record audio since 1993. Pro Tools for about 10 years. When I got my first chance I got my home setup. I have been using PTLE on PC at home for 5 years. Yes, I have had some problems but I was able to solve them.

I am sorry to say but, I have to tell you that 95% of the time is human error. You can blame whomever you want... or what ever you want... but in escence is all you, my friend. Give up...you'll never find what YOU were doing wrong.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Avid

Unfortunately, if you're unwilling to post your system specs and the specifics about which troubleshooting you've tried, it will be nearly impossible for us to help you.

If you DO decide you want to try to get this working, please start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread and post specific info on your system per the info on that thread if you're unable to resolve the problem.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 PM

I would have to agree with scroticus.

Digi makes you jump through hoops to get their product to work when the other applications just work.

Support have a look at the General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools 6 & 7 Win XP page. You must admit that is a bit extreme to get your app to function.

Protools LE is very fragile and needs to be run on some perfect computer setup which is nearly impossible to achieve. I have LE running fairly well but all the usual errors still visit quite often.

Oh well
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Try this:

Antec Sonata II
ASUS P5B deluxe
Q6600
3Gb Crucial DDR2 800 Ram
36Gb Raptor
74Gb Raptor
400Gb Barracuda(x2)
Radeon x1650 256 Mb
Pioneer DVR-112
Samsung 931BW 19" widescreen x2
XP home
The raptors aren't necessary and 4 hd's is overkill but you get the idea.......
I guess it's one of the 'perfect" sytems you were referring to, I built it last May, and it's been rock-solid ever since. Sunburst and the gang over in the core -2 thread helped me spec it out...there's new chipsets and MB's available now , but this works fine.
I guess the difference is I asked first and built later
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM

77pro

That is exactly my point look at the hoops & cost you had to go through to run PTLE. You would have been able to run any of the other audio apps without having to buy a new machine and the hassles of the General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools 6 & 7 Win XP recommendations.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I would have to agree with scroticus.

Digi makes you jump through hoops to get their product to work when the other applications just work.

Yes, I agree to the extent that it is DIGIs fault to make this great product available to even little kids.

and Yes number 2... it is punishment for "know it all's" pretending to be producers, used to get their food on a silver plater.

Did you guys think this was going to be another gamebox you just plug and start playing?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM

Let me review the hoops I jumped thru. I read the DUC thread on best desktops and built one. It worked. I built another for a friend. It works. I built a new one for myself and....it works and now I sold that and built another new dual core system. I even took liberties with he recommended parts, but paid attention to chipsets and....damn, that one works fine too. Sorry to pick on you but I have to say at this point, that it is likely operator error and not the fault of DIGI or protools. Maybe you would be better off with one of the all-in-one recording boxes from Korg, Yamaha or Roland? I'm not slagging you or them as they fill a market need nicely.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2008, 03:38 AM

Hi there. This might be a bit long but I feel I need to respond to several replies.

First off, thanks DigiTech guru for your link and also for the general good spirit from most of the DUC community.

I admittedly posted out of frustration from seeing this over and over again from so many users.In fact I got a tech support call this same evening from a client dealing with the same issue. Sigh.

However I must say that Camilo's attitusde is completly wrong. According to Camilo I should just give up because I am a kid who thinks a studio should be as simple as popping a game into my PS3. Please...You know that would be nice though.
It is simply absurd to think a person is an idiot because their experience of a product is not yours. This attitude is thankfully not representative of Digidesign or the DUC as a whole.

Camilo you should know the experience of this user, one you judged unfit to be in your mighty presence. First things first, I've been doing this gig since the days of Cakewalk "DOS" YUCK.
And because of my experience with studios and national touring acts a major computer manufacturer (NOT PC) refers their customers to me for on site studio setup and training, of which I have done hundreds in a town mostly known for studios. All by word of mouth.
Also most of the gear and software in my studio was provided by grateful "Pro Audio" companies (Not Nintendo) as thanks for my contributions to their great products. At one point I was even asked to help in the development of MLan. For goodness sake I teach advanced MIDI at the college level using 12 stations outfitted with Digi 002's on Mac Pro's. And the company I keep actually makes alot of the gear you might take for granted. So ease up on a guy!

The basic point of the original post was that I'm tired and if an experienced user is having such a hassle what's the newb gonna do.

P.S. Thanks again to all who responded to my post.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 AM

That's all well and good, but:

If you've got all this vast Pro Tools knowledge, and teach on Pro Tools rigs at the "college level" (yawn), and are this decorated, celebrated receiver of all sorts of free gear due to your wonderful contributions to the recording industry, then you'd pretty much know what works with Pro Tools, and what doesn't...yes?
If not you, then possibly all those industry cats you hang with could help?

I mean, here's the incredible amount of hoop jumping I did to get up and running.
I read the best desktop thread, bought the suggested components, paid a dude 50 bux to slap together my computer (a total of 1200.00 including parts and labor), and I haven't had even so much as a minor glitch in nearly 2 years.

So, I guess if you're thinking of calling it quits...after 3 posts on the DUC, then go ahead and quit. Or, maybe follow a few suggestions that any third grader could follow, and run Pro Tools glitch free for years and years like many of us here do.