Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:14 AM

Default this is boring

I used to love this place. but it I only visit the duc about once a month now. It seems that all that's going on with protools is the occasional update to keep up with apple's rapid hardware/software development. Isn't HD 8 years old now? Didn't it come onto the scene along with the mirrored door g4? And how about these ridiculously over priced accell cards? Why are people upgrading the old pci cards to the new pcie cards, paying out the nose and getting no major increase in power? Meanwhile all the mix users are getting sweeter and sweeter upgrade deals... Are you all ok with digidesign being the tascam of daw hardware? Have you all been beaten into submission? Someone please, either let me have it or, start lighting fire's here and remind digidesign that their company is the leader for our standards and we're bored.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: this is boring

Quote:
It seems that all that's going on with protools is the occasional update to keep up with apple's rapid hardware/software development.
Remind me. When was the last significant Logic update?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 AM

I like the fact that the hardware (HD) is still (IMO) current. I have an HD|3 and even when mixing 48 tracks I do not run out off power. I have much more power than I did with the mix system. And I still got it done on mix... I guess one could build a bass guitar with 18 strings but hey - if you cant get it done on 4 you cant get it done at all))
Old 05-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Remind me. When was the last significant Logic update?
Brace yourself, the next significant Logic update is rumored to be major. It may no longer even be called Logic. I'd expect an upgrade fee in the $500 range (like major FCP upgrades) plus the need to upgrade to Leopard, and maybe the need to buy a new computer (if you're not already running an Intel Mac).

I think it's a safe bet that Digidesign also has something big in the works, but I'm not sure if everybody is particularly anxious to see it. Some may be ambivalent. Personally, I have an HD 6 system (2 Accel cards) with an expansion chassis and four Digidesign 192 interfaces. Replacing all of that (plus probably a new computer, and lots of plug-in upgrade fees) with whatever is going to replace HD is going to be EXPENSIVE. No way around it. There will probably be an initial trade-in offer with a time deadline. When all is said and done, I can imagine laying out $10,000 to $20,000 for the next upgrade. Upgrading from Mix to HD was financially painful for a lot of folks, and I predict that this will be similar.

With dedicated hardware, I think Digidesign does us a favor by not making major hardware changes too often. If you get onboard with a major hardware change early in the life cycle, you can plan on having a state-of-the-art system for a number of years. Let's not be in too big of a rush.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
With dedicated hardware, I think Digidesign does us a favor by not making major hardware changes too often. If you get onboard with a major hardware change early in the life cycle, you can plan on having a state-of-the-art system for a number of years. Let's not be in too big of a rush.
You might want to remind folks who had process cards, or those who switched from PCIx to PCIe about getting into the cycle early. I am glad I didn't (couldn't) go down that path.

I agree with not being in too big a hurry, I bought a system to work on, not to be constantly upgrading. Let's hope the next big thing has the kinks worked out from the get go, and that we aren't waiting months for bug fixes or third party support.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 AM

Boring?

Regions disappearing.
Screen freezes.
ADC with a mind of its own.

Then there's the other side of this -- it SHOULD be boring. Things should work as designed - the challenge should be writing a better song or inspiring a better performance.

How about, "it's so boring using protools that I get to spend more time with my family..."

That's the case for me.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Hey 25 Ghosts..... I have a bass with 12 strings, and believe me, it is easier to get the job done on a 4 string (although i prefer six, with no frets)
I plunk away here on an HD 2 system with a G4, 6.9.1... and am happy in my ignorance, although I am looking to upgrade the computer to at least a dual processor.
For me, as a person who has always paid someone to record me, to be finally learning to operate what I own.. this site is everything but boring. I truly learn something valuable everyday, and thanks to all the sages here who are willing to share their expertise. Some even have patience with folks like me. )) thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Perhaps not surprisingly, I find myself agreeing with both Lee and Jeremy.

Boring?

Not hardly. If we’re talking about ProTools, we have plenty off issues that need attention (with new discoveries on what seems to be a weekly basis). At the same time, I also enjoy being productive with a system that is powerful, flexible, and only hiccups once in a blue moon.

If we're talking about the DUC, spending time here goes a long way in avoiding the few land mines out there — therefore ensuring the kind of reliability I praised above. Also, seasoned PT veterans and the ever-expanding newer user base provide us with interesting glimpses into varied workflows and needs.

The only thing I find boring are the sadly large number of intellectually lazy delicate geniuses for whom reading documentation is an imposition — because it interferes with their sacrosanct PlayStation time. That and trolls.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Someone please, either let me have it or, start lighting fire's here and remind digidesign that their company is the leader for our standards and we're bored.
speak for yourself

posts like yours are boring

i'd bet money you don't make enough in audio to have to pay taxes.

those who spend money, make money and are eager to grow and learn

even put up with digi submmission...ha ha ha

Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
i'd bet money you don't make enough in audio to have to pay taxes...
I checked out his TV credits on his site... i was impressed.

web page