Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Here Is a good Question!

Is it possible to put a track on your computer, import it into a protools session, then change the speed of the song?? And bounce it to disk. I have a CD full of Songs that are playing too slowly. SO everything is a couple steps down as far as pitch.
So I want to speed it all up and get the pitch back up where it SHOULD be. Let me know!! Thank You!
Jeff
Old 05-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Here Is a good Question!

Quote:
Is it possible to put a track on your computer, import it into a protools session, then change the speed of the song?? And bounce it to disk.
Yes. But the pitch algorithm you use will be a big part of the quality for the end result.

For this application many have raved about Waves SoundShifter and Pitch n Time. You could also do this with the Digis Time compression/expansion.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Perhaps you have mis-matched the sample rates of the imported files to the session. Rail has a program that might help you. Here's the link.

http://www.railjonrogut.com/HeaderInvestigator.htm

PS: This reminds me of when I did the opposite thing for a ballet group, and the CD played to fast. They were trying to dance really fast. I thought it was hilarious (a few days later)!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:57 PM

Yes this is just a regular Audio CD. I didnt record it or anything. Its a Live Bootleg of Stevie Ray Vaughan. And when you play it it is all like a whole step down. Thank You!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote: "You could also do this with the Digis Time compression/expansion."

how do I get to this?? What do I do? Thank you!
Jeff
Old 05-20-2006, 01:04 PM

I still suspect it might be a sample rate problem. You could create a 48k session, import the CD files (or 44.1 wav files), without sample rate conversion and see if it speeds it up appropriately.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:14 PM

Really?? O.k. I will give that a shot! That would definetely make it a pretty easy fix! Which is always nice!! Wish me luck!!
Thanx for the input!
Jeff
Old 05-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Good luck!! I hope it works. Make sure to just add the files to the 48k session, don't convert.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:44 PM

One more thing (sorry, I just remembered), when importing PT will automatically convert the file if it's stereo interleaved (which your CD tracks are). A workaround to turn your CD tracks into dual mono would be to create a new 44.1k session, import all of the CD tracks, then export them as dual mono (still at 44.1). Then import them into a new 48k session, with no conversion (just hit add files). PT will warn you that the files will be played back at the wrong speed, hit OK. This will speed up the 44.1k files, and hopefully in your case by the right amount.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Yes this is just a regular Audio CD. I didnt record it or anything. Its a Live Bootleg of Stevie Ray Vaughan. And when you play it it is all like a whole step down. Thank You!
Another thing to mention here is that alot of live bands tune the instruments down 1/2 step(or more) when on tour. It's an old trick that has been done for decades. When you're on tour and playing night after night, this really saves the voices. Been there, done that.

If the song is in E on the CD and then E flat on a live bootleg, you now know why.

Have you ever wondered why you could sing along with a CD and hardly hit any of the high notes but when you see your fave band in concert you can actually sing along with ease?

They tune down.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit