How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-07-2019, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
This is a bug and it has been present since at least PT 10. I have experienced it in each version of PT since 2014 on Windows and Mac. I have started support tickets twice over the years. Avid has acknowledged the issue in a reply to my first support ticket, but they have yet to fix it.
+1 this bit me a few times, too.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:16 AM

Sooo..it's March ..and i got a notice to renew my annual plan like most of you this time of the year..but just thinking if it worths updating this time..we haven't seen any "grand" feature since 2018.7 or so ..8 months without a useful feature ...if you do the math ,"paying" for a 12 months plan with expecting features and 8 of them were just spare money,makes me think and wonder
Maybe Avid should consider advertise some new "useful" features now in order to "(re)earn" users back before plans expired???
just sayin
Old 03-08-2019, 04:31 AM

Hi
A few days we got an mail from ACA und i wonderd about the "big" PT wishlist. Does this picture show the interest in developing PT feature compared to mediacomposer? Are we loud enough? But maybe we can at least hope for better Midi.
Ale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACA_Vote_Features.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
This is very useful indeed. Thank you.
It would be great if you could combine sets. Say you wanted to show just your strings and FX or just your strings and horns in any combination. As it stands, it seems that you would have to make a new memory location for various combinations.
Yes you can, you actually select any tracks you want to save as a memory location.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
Yes, but ....

If you use this "feature" with playlists view, it does not work. It is unusable.

Sorry for the lengthy description and repro below, but apparently, few others know of and/or complain about this easily reproducible bug.

This is a bug and it has been present since at least PT 10. I have experienced it in each version of PT since 2014 on Windows and Mac. I have started support tickets twice over the years. Avid has acknowledged the issue in a reply to my first support ticket, but they have yet to fix it.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...17#post2124417

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284021

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=306595

The quick summary is that, if you save a session with tracks in playlist view, show/hide tracks memory locations become corrupted. The workaround is to always put all tracks in some other view such as waveform or volume automation prior to saving. If an automatic backup occurs while the tracks are in playlist view, that backup session file is corrupted and you cannot import session data from it to get back your memory locations. Another imperfect workaround is to use edit and/or mix groups.

I am heavily reliant on show/hide memory locations to keep complex sessions organized and to navigate the session. This bug is my nemesis! It is extremely frustrating to have to reconstruct all your memory locations because, in the heat of a creative moment, you reflexively hit Command+S before remembering to put all tracks in waveform view.

Below is the text from the most recent support ticket I submitted last year:

I am hoping for track folders primarily because Avid refuses to address this particular bug which has been present for many years. I have literally spent $599 + $399 + $399 hoping that my payments for support will bring a fix for this bug. I have no stability issues, I have zero need for additional I/O, free samples/instruments/plugins, ARA, and I couldn't care less about cloud collaboration. I just want this one thing fixed!
Never noticed that bug myself. Sorry to hear you're having problems. Have you submitted a ticket to Avid about it?

Wave-T.com
Old 03-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Never noticed that bug myself. Sorry to hear you're having problems. Have you submitted a ticket to Avid about it?
Thanks, Manny.

Users who do not use playlist view are not affected by this bug. Perhaps I am in the minority in that I do rely on working in playlist view while trying to navigate larger sessions where show/hide track memory locations are useful.

I have submitted a support ticket on two occasions, first a few years ago and again last year. I can't imagine that it would that hard to fix this easily described and easily reproducible bug (that appears to be related to how Pro Tools internally accounts for tracks vs. open playlist lanes), but perhaps it is.

To the extent that you or any of the other moderators or users might be able to gently remind Avid of this issue, I would be very appreciative.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio 1311 View Post
Admittedly, I don't really see the need for track folders. Especially considering what can be done with Memory Locations etc

Obviously, I could be wrong, and not fully understanding how they could enhance a workflow. But, I have never found myself wanting or wishing for a folder system in PT.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Well it comes in handy when one gets an AAF for a full length feature from an editor that has a HUGE amount of Temp effects and temp music which can be 1,000 of clips. Then when SFX is done, that can also be a few 1,000 sound files, Some for back grounds, and then for FOLEY, and then for ADR, and then finally for music. Then when you're editing this behemoth session making a good handful of edits, it creates more clips in the folder. THEN... if this is all in 5.1, multiply all those 1,000 of clips by 6.......

Yeah having multiple track folders can enhance the workflow a bit
One folder for the AAF/OMF
One for the SFX
One for the MUSIC
One for the FOLEY
One for the ADR
One for the BACKGROUNDS
etc
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 03-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Well it comes in handy when one gets an AAF for a full length feature from an editor that has a HUGE amount of Temp effects and temp music which can be 1,000 of clips. Then when SFX is done, that can also be a few 1,000 sound files, Some for back grounds, and then for FOLEY, and then for ADR, and then finally for music. Then when you're editing this behemoth session making a good handful of edits, it creates more clips in the folder. THEN... if this is all in 5.1, multiply all those 1,000 of clips by 6.......

Yeah having multiple track folders can enhance the workflow a bit
One folder for the AAF/OMF
One for the SFX
One for the MUSIC
One for the FOLEY
One for the ADR
One for the BACKGROUNDS
etc
Would you be referring to a folder or bin system in the Clip List by chance?

Old 03-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio 1311 View Post
Would you be referring to a folder or bin system in the Clip List by chance?

Yes. Unless there's some other way to address 1.6 million clips in a session that I don't know of.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 03-08-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Yes. Unless there's some other way to address 1.6 million clips in a session that I don't know of.
I'd have to go back through the thread but I think we were talking about Track Folders, or Folder Tracks. A way to you hide or collapse many tracks in a parent folder.