Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2016, 12:40 PM

Default PT11 play back issue

I am running a new iMAC(bought with in the last two months)...First I ran into the import audio issue with PT11 and El Capitan...then I ran into the season opens but when I hit play...nothing. The play and stop buttons highlight as if it was working but nothing...I have closed and reopened session and ther sessions and get the same thing. Funny thing is, this isn't a constant issue. it even happen while woking in a session.
Now, Is this one of those known PT/el capitan issues or something else? I am upgrading to PT12 just need to know if this problem will still exist.(however, i have only had this problem on new computer. pt11 runs fine on my macbook pro running the OS prior to EC)

Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Re: PT11 play back issue

Make sure you don't have "Wait for Midi Note" enabled(its the little clock, lower left of Transport)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Its not that...It also wouldn't let me record either. After shutting down everything and restarting all worked fine. Again, the playback issue happened while in a session...after running a few tracks. Im thinking this will be resolved with my upgrade to 12...just wanted a second or so opinion.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfdrums View Post
Its not that...It also wouldn't let me record either. After shutting down everything and restarting all worked fine. Again, the playback issue happened while in a session...after running a few tracks. Im thinking this will be resolved with my upgrade to 12...just wanted a second or so opinion.
I do believe your problem is that PT11 is not and never will be okayed for use in ElCrapitan. That's not to say it won't work but as far as getting support from Avid that won't happen. PT12 is your only answer right now.

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I am running a new iMAC(bought with in the last two months)...First I ran into the import audio issue with PT11 and El Capitan...then I ran into the season opens but when I hit play...nothing. The play and stop buttons highlight as if it was working but nothing...I have closed and reopened session and ther sessions and get the same thing. Funny thing is, this isn't a constant issue. it even happen while woking in a session.
Now, Is this one of those known PT/el capitan issues or something else? I am upgrading to PT12 just need to know if this problem will still exist.(however, i have only had this problem on new computer. pt11 runs fine on my macbook pro running the OS prior to EC)

Thanks in advance
Hi brfdrums, if you take a look at the Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart (can't link to it yet as this is my first post here!), you'll see that none of the PT11 version numbers are officially supported on El Cap. Your problems are consistent with version number/OS incompatibilities, in that the issue is inconsistent and "buggy." I work at my school's computer support center and we have not seen a single PT12/ElCap issue, so you can go forth into PT12 with confidence.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 AM

Thanks rhysesthesis, Thats what i was thinking. PT11 works fine on my macbook pro. I thought i had waited long enough( i knew there was issues with compatibility just figured i waited it out). I have an order placed with avid for an upgrade to 12...im sure ill be in heaven once that goes through. Thanks again!!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfdrums View Post
Thanks rhysesthesis, Thats what i was thinking. PT11 works fine on my macbook pro. I thought i had waited long enough( i knew there was issues with compatibility just figured i waited it out). I have an order placed with avid for an upgrade to 12...im sure ill be in heaven once that goes through. Thanks again!!
Whether you'll be in heaven or not depends if Avid get's it's stuff together with the issues PT12 has been having with EC. As I understand it having the latest version of both sets of s/w doesn't guarantee success. All I can say is don't get rid of the laptop just yet.

BTW - your iMac - does it have a Fusion drive for the system drive? If so they are death to PT unless you split the drive sections.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:04 AM

right on! i planned on keeping my laptop as is...for that very reason...you just never know...