Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Default Hey PPC users - What do you think?

So how will PT9 help you?

Obviously we can now run Pro Tools on our Laptops. Yipee!!!

But I was thinking about a way to bypass the expensive crossgrade with this new functionality.

I'm considering buying a brand new Mac Pro just to run Pro Tools 9, Reason 5 and whatever else requires an Intel Mac.

But I'm keeping my baby. Heh. My Dual G5 with the 3 PCI cards. HD3 as it's known.

My plan is to use any digital interface I can find. Did I say Yipeee!!!!

Route 2 channels of that into my Digi Interface and run two computers at once.

It may be the best of both worlds. I can stay current and only eat the cost of a new computer.

This is still fresh in my mind so I haven't figured out all the pitfalls.

Any thoughts? Problems?

I'm a bit excited that I can choose track by track what computer plays back what. My Mac Pro could be dedicated to all things Native. Softsynths. Reason. RTAS plugins. etc.

My HD3 can do the rest of the heavy lifting.

Almost treat the PT9 machine like a production box (Synclaviar???) and my Dual G5 as a tape machine.

What do you think?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 AM

Default Hey PPC users - What do you think?

Hi I just thinking to buying a pro 9 for my PC and suddenly. I have consult those person how are using pro 9. and they said that it is a good software. and give maximum benefits for the PC and in my work. I will buy this as soon as possible after completing my Graduation.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Hey PPC users - What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
So how will PT9 help you?

Obviously we can now run Pro Tools on our Laptops. Yipee!!!

But I was thinking about a way to bypass the expensive crossgrade with this new functionality.

I'm considering buying a brand new Mac Pro just to run Pro Tools 9, Reason 5 and whatever else requires an Intel Mac.

But I'm keeping my baby. Heh. My Dual G5 with the 3 PCI cards. HD3 as it's known.

My plan is to use any digital interface I can find. Did I say Yipeee!!!!

Route 2 channels of that into my Digi Interface and run two computers at once.

It may be the best of both worlds. I can stay current and only eat the cost of a new computer.

This is still fresh in my mind so I haven't figured out all the pitfalls.

Any thoughts? Problems?

I'm a bit excited that I can choose track by track what computer plays back what. My Mac Pro could be dedicated to all things Native. Softsynths. Reason. RTAS plugins. etc.

My HD3 can do the rest of the heavy lifting.

Almost treat the PT9 machine like a production box (Synclaviar???) and my Dual G5 as a tape machine.

What do you think?
Im in the exact same boat and need to give this some thought too! I am def going to buy a Mac Pro at some point in the near future (after I drive myself crazy with following update trends @ Apple, and which are compatible with PT 9, etc) and will crossgrade my LE system to PT 9.

But I too am wondering how to handle my HD3/PPC/Tiger Rig. Before this, I was going to get the Magma Chassis and keep my PCIx cards in there, buy another PCIx used (dirt cheap now) and have an HD4.

The 4 things off the top of my head running 2 machines/rigs at once are:

1. Latency issues? Sync issues? (I havent gotten my brain around it yet)

2. Tracking Work Flow - 50% of the time I am tracking so I would be sitting at my main dual-screen desk with HD3 rig. But while tracking, there is always a need for one or 2 VIs. If the " cool new " ones are on the PT9 rig, how am I gonna set this up ergonomically? Is it even worth it.

3. Mixing Work Flow - The other 50% is mixing which I would want the best of both worlds. If I can now use a ton of RTAS Reverb and Delays like Sound Toys and TL Space etc on the PT 9 rig to save chips on my HD rig, how would the integration work? Maybe an 8 channel ADAT device on the LE system to feed my 192 four stems digitally? But once again, sync/latency? Sends from HD rig to PT9 rig?

4. MIDI... I want to REDUCE slop, not increase it. Need to think that one thru as well.

Im just shooting off top of my head here, so I may sound like a total idiot! Cuz while Im excited about this, Im very VERY confused on what to do.

What about just upgrading via Avid or somehow with a trade/sale thing to get rid of the PCIx cards for PCIe, stick em in the new Mac and say bye bye to PT 7 forever?? Scary!

I also like the idea of the chassis still - Since I can probably get 2 more HD Accel cards for 2-2.5k, giving me an HD 5, connected to the Mac Pro with PT 9.

phew, ok , take a breath. Its been one day for me! No reason to rush, aside from the plummeting value of my HD3. Yikes!

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 AM

Actually, after reading the main PT 9 thread, Im seeing that this is not such great news or a big step for HD users. Its more for the middle market and LE users.

One things is for certain - It is DEFINITELY TIME to give serious thought to finally getting on the boat. While I love my PPC/HD3 rig, I am really noticing clients expecting me to have the VIs and features of PT8 (even its LOOK- clients are starting to say, ' wow, what version of PT is THAT? haha) and even commenting on the load time for a large session, and the general lag of a 5-6 year old Mac.

2011 has gotta be the year for me to figure this out and upgrade. My rig has given me sooo much, but I think its time to say goodbye. haha. But HOW is the question...

Cmon PPC HD users, lets figure this out ! :)

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 AM

Great thread...

I'm thinking about it a lot as well.

It seems like I should not spend one more penny on TDM.

I'm thinking of skipping the pci exchange, and getting a new mac pro, HD Native card, and an Omni I/O. ~$9500 (and sell my old system for what I can get)

Or exchange the HD2 and get a new mac pro and Omni i/o ~$9500 (and sell the 96 i/o)

I'm thinking I can squeeze more voices out of HD native than an HD2.

I'm guessing TDM is dead. Most plugin companies are pushing native plugins these days.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlybunny View Post
I'm guessing TDM is dead.
Wanna sell me your PCIx accel cards for cheap?

PT9 HD +TDM will always be a more powerful rig than native alone.

A TDM rig will always have an advantage.

Smells like new cards are coming next year -- so the question is (re: MT) do you get on the boat now, or wait.

From a resale perspective, is an investment in a PE64R today gonna hold value for a year? (sidebar: has anyone ever seen a used PE6R4? I have not.)

I don't agree that PCIx cards will take a dive in value (more than they have), considering the price Avid has given to the spread between PT9HD software and PT9 + CPTK2 (which is about $2300, which is about what a core card is worth on the street -- so once again the market has determined the value of the core card.

Is it time to get on the boat? I think so. But I may also take a good hard look at running PTHD9 in a Win7 machine, using PCIx cards. Gonna see how happy the Win7 guys are in a month.

Final thought: I still will continue to host VIs in a VE Pro slave. Love that workflow.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
PT9 HD +TDM will always be a more powerful rig than native alone.

A TDM rig will always have an advantage.
Actually, I don't think that's the case. The Digi folks have hinted that off-line processing may be coming at some point. That will be a huge feature, power boost work flow enhancer (it sure has been for me already on Logic). TDM will always need to be real time, so you won't be able to take advantage of any off line features with plug-ins loaded in TDM. That'll be a big drawback.

In the native world, PT will be at a bit of a disadvantage in that it does not use kernel level processing like other DAWs, so it won't be as efficient at running huge plug-in counts. Still, it's pretty amazing the kind of counts you can run in native, and that will only get better. The one place where it will continue to be nice to have DSP is on input, to keep monitoring latency at a minimum. Maybe Avid will introduce a card for doing that (like the 2D cards in Metric Halo interfaces). It would be interesting to look inside the new Avid interfaces and see if there's a slot for such an expansion.

Regardless, there's not likely any new development to come for the current TDM, because the Motorola 56xxx chips are a dead end. If Avid release a new outboard DSP product, it's going to need plug-ins that will be recoded, so a lot of old TDM plugs will probably fall off the map.

I've heard that the Eleven rack uses Texas Instruments DSP. Maybe we'll see more of that. I do wonder where the DSP would go, though. In the interfaces? PCIe card? External box with FW connection? I have a feeling that Avid would like to avoid PCIe, because there just aren't enough slots on current Macs. Sure, you can add an expansion chassis, the chassis route has always been a PITA (I've owned about a half a dozen of them over the years, and they always had problems). PCIe would limit the number of cards sold, unless they can just sell one really massive card. And again, at the rate that computer power is increasing, few people are going to need it (especially if Avid implements freeze).
Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:

What do you think?
I think you nailed it, Kenny. That's what I plan to do as well.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
What do you think?
I think you are onto something that will make a whole lot of sense to us happy and profitable PPC users. Please take the plunge and report back soon. IF it works great for you within a month I will then send you 100.00 for leading the charge, and paving the way for me. (I am not joking) ff
You have until Dec 5 to get this incentive. Just think, if 30 others responded likewise, ........
But I trust you to test it and report back honestly... and I have never even met you!!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
Actually, I don't think that's the case. The Digi folks have hinted that off-line processing may be coming at some point. That will be a huge feature, power boost work flow enhancer (it sure has been for me already on Logic). TDM will always need to be real time, so you won't be able to take advantage of any off line features with plug-ins loaded in TDM. That'll be a big drawback.
Almost every TDM plug has a native counterpart. Taking advantage of offline processing should be a trivial matter for TDM systems.