Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Dolby Atmos ADM sync issues

I'm working on a music project, but its Dolby Atmos so I figure I'd have more luck with help in this forum.

Mixing my first Atmos Music record and I'm having a strange issue. In my mix session, I have the Stereo master in the session as a reference. Its phase locked with the tracks perfectly. I've mixed the record, and I'm trying to make a print master session with all the ADMs and the stereo files for reference.

The problem is, the ADM wavs are slightly ahead of the original stereo reference wavs by a different random amount for each song. From about 1500 samples to about 4500 samples.

Is there any way to better sync the the renderer so there isn't this offset when I print? Using the Production Suite locally (no rmu)

Appreciate any thoughts!
Old 10-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos ADM sync issues

To add. It seems it misses the first frame of my record selection every time, and adds between 4 and 8 at the of the record. Surely there must be some way to tighten this up?
Old 10-05-2021, 07:40 PM

Maybe you can explain your workflow for creating the ADM in more detail. The ADM is an offline process from the rendering software that you would need to import back into protools. So sync isn't a factor.

Maybe you are trying to record live re-renders or the main signal from the production suite back into Pro Tools?
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 10-06-2021, 06:33 AM

There is a processing delay in sending audio to the RMU/Local Renderer.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax Productions View Post
I'm working on a music project, but its Dolby Atmos so I figure I'd have more luck with help in this forum.

Mixing my first Atmos Music record and I'm having a strange issue. In my mix session, I have the Stereo master in the session as a reference. Its phase locked with the tracks perfectly. I've mixed the record, and I'm trying to make a print master session with all the ADMs and the stereo files for reference.

The problem is, the ADM wavs are slightly ahead of the original stereo reference wavs by a different random amount for each song. From about 1500 samples to about 4500 samples.

Is there any way to better sync the the renderer so there isn't this offset when I print? Using the Production Suite locally (no rmu)

Appreciate any thoughts!
Denver, CO
Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 AM

FWIW, I have albums up on Apple Music where the sync between the stereo and the Atmos is probably with a frame or maybe a subframe. Definitely not sample accurate! Apple QC didn't reject these.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Appreciate any thoughts!

Knowing your workflow and software versions would help answer this issue.

Depending on what version of Pro Tools you’re running, you can offline bounce your ADM file directly from Pro Tools and import into Pro Tools to check sync.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
To add. It seems it misses the first frame of my record selection every time, and adds between 4 and 8 at the of the record. Surely there must be some way to tighten this up?
If you are locked to timecode, it's not going to do this. Unless you are trying to send the audio output back into Pro Tools.

It sounds like you are trying to record inside Pro Tools (with Production Suite the return signal is delayed). Also, the audio returned would be a channel based re-render and not an ADM. You should record the master into the Production Suite, then bounce the ADM file to disk.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 10-06-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
If you are locked to timecode, it's not going to do this. Unless you are trying to send the audio output back into Pro Tools.

It sounds like you are trying to record inside Pro Tools (with Production Suite the return signal is delayed). Also, the audio returned would be a channel based re-render and not an ADM. You should record the master into the Production Suite, then bounce the ADM file to disk.
I'm recording into the Renderer. I have the stereo master in my session as a reference. So I'll select that to set the length of the .atmos print and arm the renderer and play down the song. But the timecode of the resulting print always misses the first frame, and adds extra frames at the end.

I think I solved my issue by just adding some time at the beginning of the print and then truncating it manually by inputting the desired timecode in/out when exporting the ADM wav from the renderer.

Using Production Suite 3.7 and PT 2021.6

Appreciate everyone's input. Definitely have learned a ton about the renderer on this job!!
Old 10-06-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I think I solved my issue by just adding some time at the beginning of the print and then truncating it manually by inputting the desired timecode in/out when exporting the ADM wav from the renderer.
Ah, now I see what you are saying. I do the same. As with film, in Atmos music I also give the master a little bit of a leader at the beginning and start the song around 01:00:00:00. Then when exporting the ADM, choose different in/out points. Streaming services have specs as to how quickly the audio comes in after the start of the ADM file. So check to make sure that amount of silence matches what you need to deliver.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 10-06-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Streaming services have specs as to how quickly the audio comes in after the start of the ADM file. So check to make sure that amount of silence matches what you need to deliver.
Yes label spec was that the timecode matches the stereo master, so was just confused as to why it was so inaccurate. Now I know its just how it be!