Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-26-2019, 10:21 PM

Default How to batch rename the audio file/region names?

Hi there,
So in a session file, I know how to batch re-name the audio region names. But it seems that only rename the name within PT, on the hard drive in the audio folder the name still remains the same for the actual audio file.
Is there a way to batch rename actual audio file name and also the name inside PT session and still keep in link?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2019, 11:00 PM

Default Re: How to batch rename the audio file/region names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Hi there,
So in a session file, I know how to batch re-name the audio region names. But it seems that only rename the name within PT, on the hard drive in the audio folder the name still remains the same for the actual audio file.
Is there a way to batch rename actual audio file name and also the name inside PT session and still keep in link?

Thanks
Not in one go.
Batch rename is batch rename clips. Not files. That's a distinction.

This is something I've been hounding them about to allow both.

What you have to do is batch rename clips first and then while everything is selected still, press the key command to rename multiple clips (on Mac that is shift+command+r). Then hit return for every clip name that pops up. That transfers the clip name you put in during step one to the file. It's tedious if you have to do a lot because Pro Tools isn't fast about moving on to the next clip name after you hit return.

(Also, just a reminder, if those clips aren't actually files then the name still won't change. Only clips that are actually files will take the name. Same as if you are renaming a single clip the old fashioned way.)
Old 09-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Shile Pro Tools' batch rename utility is powerful, this limitation means I usually still use a Keyboard Maestro script to batch append cue/song numbers, version numbers, strip characters, etc...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Not in one go.
Batch rename is batch rename clips. Not files. That's a distinction.

This is something I've been hounding them about to allow both.

What you have to do is batch rename clips first and then while everything is selected still, press the key command to rename multiple clips (on Mac that is shift+command+r). Then hit return for every clip name that pops up. That transfers the clip name you put in during step one to the file. It's tedious if you have to do a lot because Pro Tools isn't fast about moving on to the next clip name after you hit return.

(Also, just a reminder, if those clips aren't actually files then the name still won't change. Only clips that are actually files will take the name. Same as if you are renaming a single clip the old fashioned way.)
Works for me ! Thanks a lot.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:56 AM

This really needs to be addressed.
On a massive scoring session with over a hundred tracks in record, and moving fast between cues, accurate renaming of actual audio files needs to be as instantaneous as possible. Even a KM script doing the two-step workaround is not nearly quick enough on a fast-paced session.

Why anyone would ever want to rename the clips and not the actual files escapes me. At least provide the option.

There are now several threads talking about this subject. This one and
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398629
and
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398804

Can a mod please concatenate, move it to the 2021 forum (since it's still an issue with the latest release), and bump this seemingly simple request to those who can act on it, ready to include in the next release. It's been going on for way too long.