Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM

Default Xpand2 playing on separate midi tracks...help!

I'll try my best to formulate my ramblings as easy as possible for you to understand.

I'd like to record onto 4 separate midi tracks using XPand2, exactly as this guy is doing here in this youtube clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRps...4#action=share

I'll walk you through my process for trying to achieve this...
So first thing I'll do is insert an instrument track, and then insert xpand2 onto this track.
In xpand2 as you may know, there is 4 Parts, labelled A, B, C, and D. so for Part A for example I'll select a drum loop, and for Part B a sax, a piano for Part C and for Part D I'll select strings.

And then when all that's done next thing I'll do is go and create 4 midi tracks, because I want the instruments from xpand2 (Parts A, B, C and D) playing on different midi channels. When I have the 4 midi tracks set up, the next thing I'll do is I'll go to the output setting of each midi track, and I'll assign each output to the right instrument in expand2, just like so... midi 1 output > expand2 > channel 1,
midi 2 output > expand2 > channel 2,
midi 3 output > expand2 > channel 3,
midi 4 output > expand2 > channel 4.

Then I'll go back to xpand2 and set Part A to Midi channel 1, arm midi track 1 and play the midi virtual keyboard and hear the drum loops perfectly.

The next stage is where the problem arises...

Still in xpand2, I'll assign Part B to midi track 2, arm the track, and then play the midi virtual keyboard, but instead of getting a sax sound, I'm still getting Part A, the drum loops. And I've no idea why this is happening. And it's the same problem when I assign Part C to midi track 3, Im still getting the drumloops from Part A. And you've guessed it, it's also the same when I assign Part D to midi track 4 and arm that track, instead of strings I'm still getting the drum loops from Part A (midi channel 1).

I've checked out dozens of YouTube clips, and I haven't come across this problem or any solution for it. I've checked threads on here and can't come across anything with regards to this problem. I've googled it and can't find the reason(obviously me) or the solution....
Sorry, I know it was longwinded but I couldn't find an easier way to get it accross.
I would be so grateful for any help to send me in the right direction and also help save me from pulling the last bit of hair out of my head

Thank you,
Ian

Last edited by Ianoh; 11-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Xpand2 playing on separate midi tracks...help!

Working correctly here. See my settings (I used an Aux track since there's no MIDI needed on that track) or try my session.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Thanks Jeffro, just tried that now, but it seems to be throwing up the same problem as previous
I really thought that was gonna pull me out of a hole....
Old 11-16-2018, 05:24 PM

also tried your session, so I think its gotta be the set up of my machine........aww good god
Old 11-16-2018, 05:28 PM

Try this session, and if it doesn't play each part please reply with your PT, Xpand2, and OS versions.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Thanks again Jeffro, but still no change on the western plain, same 'ol problem

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3
Pro Tools 2018.10
expand!2 V2.2.6.18935
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Hmmm, all the same versions here (even switched to a Pro Tools license cause I was running Pro Tools Ultimate). That session plays each part in succession - 1 bar each. Might be worth trashing prefs (you can back them up first in case it doesn't help) though I fear we might be overlooking something simple. Any chance you could share a Screen Recording (QuickTime) of your process?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:19 AM

Ian, it works as expected on my system.

Which (virtual) MIDI keyboard are you using?

What happens if you pencil in a few notes for each part?

In Xpand, click the wrench at the bottom, and reset MIDI assignments.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:16 AM

sorry I never got back Jeffro , I fell asleep last night....ok ive done a screen recording, I'm just have problems to lupoad for some reason, seems to be taken a while.
Stig, the virtual keyboard I'm using is when I'm in pro tools I right click and choose "open in midi editor" and use the keyboard that pops up.
Also when I pencil in the notes the recording still shows up in midi track 1
Old 11-17-2018, 04:51 AM

Jeffro, I'm out of the house at the moment, but when I get back I'll thrash through the system preferences.... Im not so precious about my preference set up on the laptop at the moment as I just bought it from a friend on Wednesday.... I think you're right, I think it's just something simple, or I hope so anyway

I was also thinking of maybe downloading pro tools 2018.7 later and see if the problem persists on this version