Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2022, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Avid Link says PT 2022.9 is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Is that something similar to an aggregate Device in OSX, but it maintains full support for HDX & HDN in Pro Tools?

Do you know if it supports multiple types of physical audio I/O, or is it limited to something like HDN/HDX plus the Dolby Audio Bridge?
That was my thought as well. HDX could remain the main engine with a secondary engine to pipe audio in and out for either internal or external routing to other apps or outside the computer.

I have a feeling that an internal Atmos renderer is imminent, so I don't that's necessarily the main application.

I'm hoping that the Aux IO isn't the only thing that Jeff Komar meant when he said good things are coming in response to a question about using MTRX Studio mic prep while in Dolby Audio Bridge mode. I do hope an integrated renderer is on the way.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 09-22-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I hear from both camps in LA. Jsut finished a. series for 6 weeks there doing all of the audio post here and also some scoring. The head of the production company in Culver City told me that even though she uses Premiere all the time on a bunch of projects, she is wanting to get back on her Avid setup. I know some folks like Avid more for long form. Not really my area, but thought I would note this for people on the forum.

G
I would think this is Avid's attempt to bring the picture departments of the world back into Avid land. If they can get a really solid bi-directional workflow between Pro Tools and Media Composer that handles recuts and reconforms very easily and elegantly (which they really should have done years ago), then I could see that being a big incentive to switch back to Avid.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I would think this is Avid's attempt to bring the picture departments of the world back into Avid land. If they can get a really solid bi-directional workflow between Pro Tools and Media Composer that handles recuts and reconforms very easily and elegantly (which they really should have done years ago), then I could see that being a big incentive to switch back to Avid.
Agreed.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 09-22-2022, 10:45 AM

They really should be working on a better bi directional workflow between sibelius and pro tools too..
Old 09-22-2022, 12:28 PM

I had my hopes us that Aux I/O was a method for routing the Mac's internal audio into ProTools HD so I can ditch the unnecessarily expensive Source-Nexus.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:33 PM

Even when PT does jump into Apple Native, how many of us will be comfortable upgrading our production computers at that time?

I think there will be a fair share of bugs and hurdles with this new code, and as much as I'd like to use this computer to its fullest potential I doubt I'll go full-in until it has gone through a couple of updates and found relative stability. A couple months after the initial release?

And with so many plugins still being Intel-only, we couldn't make the jump anyway, UNLESS Avid does figure out a way to create a shell in which Intel plugins can operate in tandem with Native versions. Otherwise, we'll still need Rosetta.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Even when PT does jump into Apple Native, how many of us will be comfortable upgrading our production computers at that time?

I think there will be a fair share of bugs and hurdles with this new code, and as much as I'd like to use this computer to its fullest potential I doubt I'll go full-in until it has gone through a couple of updates and found relative stability. A couple months after the initial release?

And with so many plugins still being Intel-only, we couldn't make the jump anyway, UNLESS Avid does figure out a way to create a shell in which Intel plugins can operate in tandem with Native versions. Otherwise, we'll still need Rosetta.
You're right, a complete native re-write is a massive task. It will be full of holes. I'm guessing it might be a good year before it's stable, although my experience with other native software has been good, so maybe I'm being too negative.
Hasn't Apple figured out a way to run Intel plugs inside native Logic? I know it didn't start that way, but I think they managed to get it working. I can't remember.............

Dominic
Old 09-22-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedavis View Post
From what I've seen with the new Melodyne update and all of the posts from Avid saying "ARA soon" it seems it'll be in the new 2022.9 release.
Indeed. And ARA for RX coming as well
Old 09-22-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I had my hopes us that Aux I/O was a method for routing the Mac's internal audio into ProTools HD so I can ditch the unnecessarily expensive Source-Nexus.
Hi Eric, Aux IO will be visible in the IO setup, so next to the playback engine IO and busses, you can IO system audio / core audio to PT.
So yes, this will ditch the need for Nexus, and actually Dante Virtual Soundcard as well, for most situations I guess.
How clocking in the Aux IO will be, is still a mystery to me..
Old 09-22-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
Hi Eric, Aux IO will be visible in the IO setup, so next to the playback engine IO and busses, you can IO system audio / core audio to PT.
So yes, this will ditch the need for Nexus, and actually Dante Virtual Soundcard as well, for most situations I guess.
How clocking in the Aux IO will be, is still a mystery to me..
My guess is the virtual audio device that Aux IO puts in CoreAudio follows the main audio interface clock. It would have to (since that's also the session's.) Much the same as any other virtual audio device.
If they put in auto SRC, that will be interesting (in essence, the virtual device would be an asynchronous clock)