Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 12-04-2021, 11:49 AM

Default Major recording timeline placement issues with Carbon

Nightmare trying to keep sessions running after putting Carbon as the HD replacement in our main rig. Thought the testing had been thorough enough on my part, but apparently not.

All recorded tracks are placed early on the timeline by ~1600 samples. Playing back with added channel offset to compensate works while they're in DSP monitoring mode, but if I take them out of DSP mode so they run natively they're out of time until I disable that offset.

Any insight or anyone else run into this?

As a work around I've added a click track send to one side of an aux and a send to the other side of that aux from one of the tracks I'm recording in DSP mode. I record that aux to a stereo audio track simultaneously with the main tracks I'm recording and I group that aux to the tracks I'm overdubbing, so I can quickly slide each take or punch to the right place afterward. Total nightmare.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Major recording timeline placement issues with Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Nightmare trying to keep sessions running after putting Carbon as the HD replacement in our main rig. Thought the testing had been thorough enough on my part, but apparently not.

All recorded tracks are placed early on the timeline by ~1600 samples. Playing back with added channel offset to compensate works while they're in DSP monitoring mode, but if I take them out of DSP mode so they run natively they're out of time until I disable that offset.

Any insight or anyone else run into this?

As a work around I've added a click track send to one side of an aux and a send to the other side of that aux from one of the tracks I'm recording in DSP mode. I record that aux to a stereo audio track simultaneously with the main tracks I'm recording and I group that aux to the tracks I'm overdubbing, so I can quickly slide each take or punch to the right place afterward. Total nightmare.
After reading the fixes of 2021.10, I think it's worth giving a try. I do utilize auxes in a way that makes me wonder if that fix would fix one of these issues. I'd been hesitant because of the reported disconnect issues.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
After reading the fixes of 2021.10, I think it's worth giving a try. I do utilize auxes in a way that makes me wonder if that fix would fix one of these issues. I'd been hesitant because of the reported disconnect issues.
Matt, the disconnect issues existed before 2021.10, so I suspect they are a platform issue (i.e. which Mac / ethernet/ TB you are using) rather than a particular PT version. They seem to happen across multiple OS's too.

The only 'fix' so far seems to be to keep "optimise performance at low buffer settings" off.

I haven't had the problems myself but I'm not a heavy user and I have over-spec'd machines.

Dominic
Old 12-06-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Matt, the disconnect issues existed before 2021.10, so I suspect they are a platform issue (i.e. which Mac / ethernet/ TB you are using) rather than a particular PT version. They seem to happen across multiple OS's too.

The only 'fix' so far seems to be to keep "optimise performance at low buffer settings" off.

I haven't had the problems myself but I'm not a heavy user and I have over-spec'd machines.

Dominic
Dominic, thank you! That's encouraging that I'm unlikely to unleash any new issues with the update.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:49 AM

No change with 2021.10.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:11 AM
Avid

See latest discussion on thread here
Berkeley, CA