How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2022, 01:52 PM

Default Volume Automation not following when Trimming Clip

Hi,
Scratching my head over this weird thing today. Been working in a big mix session for an audiobook for a few months. In that session, when I Trim a Clip either forward or backward, the Volume levels associated with the part of the Clip where I start the Trim (beginning or end of Clip), FOLLOW the Trim. I just started a new blank session for the next audiobook. In this new Session, when I Trim a Clip forward or backward, the Volume Automation is NOT following the Clip. Maybe I accidentally un-toggled a Preference somewhere? But for the life of me, I don't see one that is affecting that. Being able to do this is a real time saver for me. When I go back into the previous mix session, the Trim function behaves as I expect, so it's not a global PT preference issue. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated!!

I'm on a Mac Pro 5,1 / Mojave / PT 2021.6.0 HDX
Old 03-23-2022, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Volume Automation not following when Trimming Clip

It's even weirder than I thought. The Volume automation will follow the Clip Trim on some tracks, but not others. But the Pan doesn't go with it, just the Volume. And even weirder, if I Trim a Clip way earlier in the Timeline on a track where this works, it won't work, the Volume won't move with the Trim. Whereas it WILL move on a Clip that's later in the Timeline on that very same track. Seems like this is just some weird anomaly/bug, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible...)
Old 03-25-2022, 06:46 AM

Volume automation only follows trimming when there are breakpoints on the edges of the clips. e.g., select a clips entire length, drag down the volume automation so breakpoints will be placed at the edges and use the trim tool to extend the clip.
Without edge breakpoints the automation will be ignored. It's possible you have volume automation on the edges but pan automation that extends beyond the clips.

However, since PT 2019.10 and beyond, automation will not follow anymore when you are trimming clips by moving the fade in/out sections with the hand tool. This is a known issue.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:03 AM

Hey thanks for the reply! That's super helpful. I'm gonna take a look and see if that explains why it's working in some places and not others...

...shouldn't this ideally be a Preference setting somewhere? More often than not, I feel like if I Trim a Clip forward or backward, I would want the automation from the point where I start the Trim, to follow the Trim. No? But I could see it being something you should be able to turn off too. The way you describe it sounds like kind of a weird half-implementation...