Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-15-2020, 06:54 AM

Default Folder Feature Requests

I have a few requests for basic track folders:

1 - would be great if a basic track folder could also be an automatically grouped VCA fader. It already has solo and mute for the whole folder. In some instances a fader would also be helpful.

2 - the ability to have folders open in the edit window but not the mix window, or visa versa.

3 - as others have mentioned, the ability to hide a folder, while showing its children.

4 - the ability when muting either kind of folder to also mute any aux sends on any of the children tracks. So it’s a true mute of everything in the folder. Could be like a control-click on the mute button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 04-16-2020, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Folder Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I've seen that you can convert an Aux to a Track Folder. I wish you could convert a Track folder back to an Aux.

+1
Old 04-19-2020, 07:07 AM

Thread about track folder orientation preference
Old 04-19-2020, 12:51 PM

I would love the ability to spill out all child folders of a folder track.

I’m already getting into nested folders - snare mics in their own folder, overheads too etc, all contained in a master drums folder. A key command to expand all children, none of the children, or just the ones which were previously open within would be great.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:30 PM

I would really like to be able to tab to the next visible region representation in a routed folder track in the edit window.

It's vital to be able to quickly and accurately select regions when automating anything on the folder track!
Old 04-22-2020, 06:16 AM

Started using Folder Tracks today and love them but would like to see these features:

1. ability to open/close folders while recording/bouncing

2. ability to double click on a closed folder track and select the entire region(s) that make up that folder track from where the audio starts to where it ends within the folder track

Thank you
Old 04-25-2020, 12:03 AM

Hey guys,

I posted this somewhere else, but nobody seemed interested. Maybe not everyone uses folder tracks and track presets. If it's as I think it is, then Avid should address this asap. These two 'new' features should be able to work smoothly together.

All data is lost when you save a closed folder track as a track preset.
Please try this:

1. Create a few tracks (these could be audio, instrument, aux, whatever)
2. Move them into a folder track (any type).
3. Close the folder track and save it as a track preset.
4. Recall the track preset that you just saved.

In my case, the closed folder track cannot be opened. The size of the folder track (compared with what I saved) indicates that the contents are missing. Please try this and let's see if anyone else has this issue. On the other hand, saving open track folders doesn't have this problem. I guess this should be confirmed before actually requesting that track presets should be able to save folder tracks properly. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:19 AM

Thought I'd try doing a radio edit using folder tracks. The thing is, when I go back over my work I can't see where I've done the edits. It's like flying blind. Wouldn't it better to have the contents of the folder in "blocks" that you can move about?

Edit : I've got round it by creating a blank track underneath, and creating a "clip group" with no actual clips in. Daft really, but at least I've got a visual representation of the edits.

Also, when you create a folder wouldn't it be better if the default was closed rather than open ? I created a folder so I don't have to look at all the tracks.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 04-26-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:30 AM

** THIRD TYPE OF FOLDER PLEASE **

1. Basic Folder
2. Routing Folder
3. VCA Folder : VCA automatically assigned to the tracks in that folder, and a VCA on the folder strip. In this way, all tracks in the group can be controlled and their corresponding sends will adjust accordingly (unlike the routing folder), but no extra real estate is taken up with another VCA fader. Any tracks moved into the folder automatically assigned to that VCA group.

Thanks. Cheers. Nice one. Ta.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 05-01-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
** THIRD TYPE OF FOLDER PLEASE **

1. Basic Folder
2. Routing Folder
3. VCA Folder : VCA automatically assigned to the tracks in that folder, and a VCA on the folder strip. In this way, all tracks in the group can be controlled and their corresponding sends will adjust accordingly (unlike the routing folder), but no extra real estate is taken up with another VCA fader. Any tracks moved into the folder automatically assigned to that VCA group.

Thanks. Cheers. Nice one. Ta.
THIS^^^

+1MILLION

Please vote up this idea in Avid Link. I am not sure how to post a link to Link here. (Ideascale seemed to work a lot better in that and many other ways).