Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Feature requests for \"Digi 003\" and PTLE 7 for

Quote:
Quote:
i'm currently in the market for a pro tools system and after a lot of research / experience, here is my choice:

titanium powerbook running pro tools free

previous systems:
G4 450 AMIII
G4 450 pro tools free

????????????
what i'm tryin' to say is, given the current palette of digidesign options, for my particular needs, the thing that meets the need is pro tools free. but again, i would buy a mid-level system. i just think the le hardware sucks and the tdm solution is way overpriced.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:31 PM

does the M audio products use core audio or DAE with m powered pro tools ?

just wondering if you will be able to use multiple M audio products with pro tolls LE
Old 05-06-2005, 08:34 AM

Just run this through a digidesign filter and i'd be happy.

matt
Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
does the M audio products use core audio or DAE with m powered pro tools ?

just wondering if you will be able to use multiple M audio products with pro tolls LE
DAE
Old 05-06-2005, 06:54 PM

Quote:

matt
Yeah, the MOTU Traveler beats the pants off of the 002R, for about the same price. But for my needs (and the rest of us who use primarily outboard converters), there's not enough digital i/o. Multiple Travelers are linkable, which is helpful, but i don't wanna buy 4 of 'em to get 8ch of AES.

But add at least 8 channels of AES i/o on DB25 ports, and i'll by at least one or two of them.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

matt
Yeah, the MOTU Traveler beats the pants off of the 002R, for about the same price. But for my needs (and the rest of us who use primarily outboard converters), there's not enough digital i/o. Multiple Travelers are linkable, which is helpful, but i don't wanna buy 4 of 'em to get 8ch of AES.

But add at least 8 channels of AES i/o on DB25 ports, and i'll by at least one or two of them.
I think in your case it'd be great to have something like the digital 192 especially making it modular so you could pick what kinds of i/o you want. For us PT users who just rely on the onboard converters it seems like the traveler, or something like it, would be amazing. Not to mention that the link i gave also includes Digital Performer 4.5, which among other things offers surround sound support. All for LESS than the 002R. That package may be just the thing to make me jump ship from Digi as much as I'd hate to leave PT's intuitive GUI.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:29 AM

My crazy idea:

Pro Tools hardware moves outside the computer: Firewire 800 and/or Gigabit Ethernet.

The HD lineup consists of a Core box to which you can add Process boxes as you need more DSP. These would be linked externally, just like the TDM flex cable connected PCI cards. There would be new interfaces, along w/ a Legacy port for 192s, etc.

Here's the interesting part:
The top of the LE lineup would be a Core box LE that had built-in I/O similar to (or better than) the 002. When you were ready to upgrade, you would purchase an HD package that came w/ software and an internal iLok that you put inside the Core box LE, making it a full-on Core box HD! This special Core box LE would have some DSP capability, making it a premium over the lower LE interfaces.

Make the upgrade somewhat affordable, and you'll see a lot more people going to HD over time. If things turn out this way, I expect a free system in the mail =)
Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 AM

Quote:
My crazy idea: Pro Tools hardware moves outside the computer: Firewire 800 and/or Gigabit Ethernet.
Auxsend1, this is a novel idea, but neither FireWire 800 nor Gigabit Ethernet have the bandwidth to support a full-sized HD system. Using FireWire 800 for the midrange LE systems, however, is a must, especially since the 002 chokes way too easily when running sessions with high track counts/sample rates on the same FW400 bus as an external hard drive, which laptop and iMac/Mac Mini/eMac users generally do.

Matts9383, i completely agree with you. I'd be happy for Digi to replace the Mbox with a stripped-down traveler (perhaps with only 4 inputs, in a half-rack box), and replace the 002 with a 1U box much like the Traveler/FireFace 800, then add the much-discussed digital-only interface to the lineup - also 1U, but replacing the analog ports w/ 16ch of AES and dual lightpipes. Then upgrade PTLE to support 5.1 surround, 192k, 64 tracks, and a few other now-standard features folks have been requesting, and Digi will have finally graduated from the 20th century.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 AM

• surround support, AT LEAST 5.1 to start...

• For Dual processor machines, show TWO CPU meters in the System Usage box to see how the power is distributeed across both processors.... Logic does this...

• multiple LE interfaces would be VERY NICE.

• MORE TRACKS (than 32)

• record 32-bit floating point files (like you can in Nuendo)

• record-arm on the fly for audio tracks

• Edit menu -> Copy to Send... -- i don't understand why this is a TDM only thing, it just takes the levels of the main faders and copies them to a send, it's super handy and shouldn't require TDM, I do a lot of headphone mixes out of PT so that would make things quicker for me.

• REMOTE CONTROL MIC PRE CAPABILITY!!!! Compatibility with the Digi Pre!

• Maybe a Digi002 Digital, a la the 192 digital? For interfacing with a digital console... like take a MOTU 2408 and make a Digi version... maybe 8x8 ADAT, 8x8 AES/EBU, 2ch Spdif or something along those lines, that works with PTLE. M-Audio doesn't make anything like that yet so why don't you guys beat them to it.

• Pro Tools MOTU powered (j/k)

• maybe a new sleeker look to the overall PT GUI... or be able to change the color scheme of the PT environment (not that important but would be neat)

I don't know about you guys but I'd like some indication that Digi is reading this and/or considering at least some of the points we've been making on here - I skimmed this post before replying and didn't see any post from the Digi guys. Digi, can you hear us?

One more thing, as a note to Digi:

By adding the features we're asking for in PTLE 7, HD will still sell tons because of it's sheer power. For example, someone doing serious surround stuff would benefit from running HD because they can use a lot of plugins etc... think about it, one 5.1 master track to put an EQ on it (we'll say Waves Q10), where on a standard stereo audio track you'd use one stereo version of the eq, you now have to use 2 mono and 2 stereo versions of the same EQ, thus exponentially increasing the amount of CPU you'd be using.
Digi, please keep that in mind, because LE will still be "Limited" by relying on the computer's host processor(s) even with the features we've been begging and pleading for.
Mac OS X 10.7.3
Pro Tools 9.0.6
M-Audio Profire 2626

Kurzweil PC1x & M-Audio Keystation 61es
Old 05-09-2005, 09:07 AM

I think that this thread represents a feeling that many pro tools users share and that the point is coming that the love hate balance is going to the hate side wich i have with my m-box. pro tools rules but the hardware is pretty bad and that didn't become any better with the m-audio stuff so digidesign if you want stay the industry standard make sure that the beginning daw user likes your stuff and service because they will be the pro's in the next 5 years and i don't think you want them to be using nuendo because they liked cubase better when they where beginning their careers.