Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 02:47 PM

Default What Sampler in OSX ?

We are getting ready to move to OSX and would like to know what soft sampler actually works in OSX/ProTools. I've read so many conflicting things.

We currently are using Soft SampleCell.

Thank you.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 10-02-2003, 11:43 PM

Default Re: What Sampler in OSX ?

I am a SSC user and I use Logic with ESX-24. This sampler I think is the best Soft sampler I have ever used. Imports SC inst no problem Auto converts to ESX FORMAT ESX Inst load in so fast. Plus the latency is not exisitant with ESX-24. This alone is worth learning Logic you will pull out your hair for a couple of weeks BUT when you get Logic it's killer. All I can say about ESX-24 is AMAZING.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:59 AM

you mean the EXS-24
Old 10-03-2003, 06:42 AM

I've started using MachFive as a replacement for SampleCell/SoftSampleCell. It has its pros and cons, nicer interface that takes up your whole screen, only 2 rtas outputs but mixer and effects inside the sampler.

There are still some conversion bugs, but mostly that part works, especially if you are converting from discs. The problems i've had with conversions are to existing SC instruments on my hard drive (and the problems have been with individual samples not the actual instruments or banks)

I'm happy considering it's a 1.0 release. Be interesting to see how streaming is implemented.

MIX24 | 6.1 | 10.2.8

Old 10-12-2003, 12:56 PM

Quote:
There are still some conversion bugs, but mostly that part works, especially if you are converting from discs. The problems i've had with conversions are to existing SC instruments on my hard drive (and the problems have been with individual samples not the actual instruments or banks)

Jim - I wonder if you have any tips or tricks, as I've yet to get UVI Xtract to convert any of my SSC instruments sucessfully - whether they reside on disc or on my hard drives. IF it sees the instrument, it doesn't see or search for any of the samples (or prompt me to help it), so the ones it converts are basically empty instruments. I have a library of SSC discs that I'd love to convert - but so far - only AKAI and GIGA are working reasonably. Maybe putting all the SSC instruments and samples in the same folder will help ?????

I also second the motion for streaming from disc with Mach Five - hopefully we'll get it soon - it gets pretty daunting working with 600+ MB drum kits knowing thats its all loaded into RAM.